How many missed pellets is normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey yall, is it normal for some pellets to miss the fire pot in a pellet stove?

This is a photo after cleaning the stove and running her approximately 10 hrs, attached.

Seems like a lot of pellets on the shelf but wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks!

How many missed pellets is normal? How many missed pellets is normal?

Are they missing the pot or being pushed out by a high airflow? On some stoves (at least) too much airflow can push pellets out of the pot.

Ken

Thanks for the response Ken. Hard to say, it seems like some just bounce out and some completely miss.

Some pellets miss or get bounced out .
How many Go question maybe 100th of 1%
but I would guess with my stove it is closer to 500th of 1%
1 pellet for every 500 released to the pot
Not enough for me to worry about

Got it. I tried to roughly estimate how much are landing on the shelf instead of burning in the pot. Looks to me like a handful, which I would guess is around 1 oz. 40 lb bag = 640 oz, so I'm losing around 1/10th of 1% haha. Ill live with it