How many pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haubera said:
Wow, you're in Winnipeg and only plan to need 70 bags? Maybe my 1 pallet will be nearly enough for the winter. Are you basing your need on prior knowledge? This is my first year with the stove, so I have no idea how much I'll use.

Excell is only talking about a 500 square foot garage.

Oh, that's a little less than half my area. Guess I really will have to buy at least one more pallet. Want to do so before the snow starts flying so I don't have to slog through snow to unload it. ;-)

A quick and dirty conversion factor I've seen is 1 ton of pellets = 120 gallons of oil.

Thanks, but unless there's someplace that I can look up what 120 gal of oil will do that info doesn't really get me anywhere. I've been heating with electricity all this time. Anybody got a cords of wood conversion? My Mom and Dad use wood so that at least has some meaning to me. ;-)

pellet stove....in a GARAGE?! Am I the only one who sees the issue with this?

Lousyweather said:

What is your issue with it ? I really would like to know your concerns . The insurance company likes it ,they are giving me a discount . The city likes it they inspected it and passed it . It is a hundred times safer than the home made barrel stove that was in there before . I think it is great ,not to hot ,and I don't have to feed it every three hours . Gas would have had lower operating cost ,but would have cost way more to get it out there .If I heat with electricity when it is really cold I can choose between heat and air compressor but not both . To get enough power out there it would have cost me as much or more than the gas . Besides all of the financial considerations I love pellet stoves .So there you have it ,that's why I went that way .

Haubera said:
Oh, that's a little less than half my area. Guess I really will have to buy at least one more pallet. Want to do so before the snow starts flying so I don't have to slog through snow to unload it. ;-)

If you are heating your house you will use more that me .If I was you I would probably get three tons .I use a wheel barrel to unload it makes it real easy .
My biggest problem is not getting it to hot in there .With these warm temps we are having ,even on 1 it gets to hot . I have been turning it off for a couple hrs .at a time
when I am working out there . I won't use any pellets for 5 weeks in Feb and March . And I don't want them stored in my shed all summer . I just want a few bags left over . So far I have 70 bags . When it snows I will buy a few to leave in the back of the truck for weight traction . I live in the city so I have a room problem,also I want to be able to buy if some one has a sale .

Excell said:
Lousyweather said:

What is your issue with it ? I really would like to know your concerns . The insurance company likes it ,they are giving me a discount . The city likes it they inspected it and passed it . It is a hundred times safer than the home made barrel stove that was in there before . I think it is great ,not to hot ,and I don't have to feed it every three hours . Gas would have had lower operating cost ,but would have cost way more to get it out there .If I heat with electricity when it is really cold I can choose between heat and air compressor but not both . To get enough power out there it would have cost me as much or more than the gas . Besides all of the financial considerations I love pellet stoves .So there you have it ,that's why I went that way .

I do believe that Lousyweather is concerned because in a fairly large number of places having a solid fuel burner in a garage is against code.

It has to do with the possibility of an open flame igniting gasoline vapors among other volatile flammable liquids.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Excell said:
Lousyweather said:

I do believe that Lousyweather is concerned because in a fairly large number of places having a solid fuel burner in a garage is against code.

It has to do with the possibility of an open flame igniting gasoline vapors among other volatile flammable liquids.

yep, Smokey got it! NFPA211, Standard for Chimneys, fireplaces, vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances, Sections 12.2.3, 12.2.4. Both address garages, one directly, and one indirectly.

12.2.3: Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gases are present.

12.2.4: Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

Fairly straight forward. Basically a safety concern. Homeowners often do what they want and get away with what they want, but when we have to do an installation, it generally doesnt behoove us to not follow code or recognized practice. Licenses are too expensive to reinstate, and liability is just too high to do things that arent gnereally accepted as common practice.

Excell said:
Haubera said:

If you are heating your house you will use more that me .If I was you I would probably get three tons .I use a wheel barrel to unload it makes it real easy .
My biggest problem is not getting it to hot in there .With these warm temps we are having ,even on 1 it gets to hot . I have been turning it off for a couple hrs .at a time when I am working out there . I won't use any pellets for 5 weeks in Feb and March . And I don't want them stored in my shed all summer . I just want a few bags left over . So far I have 70 bags . When it snows I will buy a few to leave in the back of the truck for weight traction . I live in the city so I have a room problem,also I want to be able to buy if some one has a sale .

I hear you about the warm temps. By the time I'm ready to go to bed at night it's been over 74 degrees in the living room and I've had it shut down to 1 for a couple of hours, so I just turn it off overnight; hate sleeping in a warm room, that's what a comforter is for. If it gets too cold the wall heaters will kick in and keep it above 60. And I still save money by keeping the temp warm by running the stove when I'm watching TV in the evening.

3 tons, hm? I will get one more for now... we'll see how fast I start going through them once it actually cools down and becomes winter. I'm pretty sure I can pick up another ton later, doesn't seem to be a shortage so far this year.

I have mine shut down right now ,I want to see how long it stays above freezing .I think that 1700 lb cement pedestal under the stove ,should keep things warm for awhile . I spent the after noon getting the door as tight as possible ,its a tough job with that big door . With the barrel stove I never worried about it . Used to have to open the side door to cool it off . There was no control with that sucker ,Through in a wheel barrel full and open the door when it got to hot . I probably wouldn't buy another ton either unless there was a good sale . I heard that last Feb Canadian tire was selling them for $3.00 a bag that might get me to buy .

Holy cow... $3!!? If that turns out to be real that's great!

Haubera said:
Holy cow... $3!!? If that turns out to be real that's great!

It will be great if I am in town when it happens . I check their price every time I go there . Keeping my fingers crossed .

Status
Not open for further replies.