How many pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Excell

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2009
Winnipeg
This is my first year with a pellet stove in my garage . It is 500 sq ft .2X4 walls insulated .So far I have 60 bags of premium pellets so far I have been burning a bag in about three days but it is warm out . I run the stove 24 hrs a day ,but only about six to eight will it be above 40 Deg . Middle of Feb to middle of March I will be in Florida
and will have to heat with Electricity . Is 60 bags enough or should I get another 20 0r 30 ?

HEMI said:
why does the garage have to be heated when your in florida?
So it doesn't get cold...

HEMI said:
why does the garage have to be heated when your in Florida?

I do car repairs in there and I have things in there that I don't want to get frozen .It can get expensive replacing things .

Excell said:
HEMI said:
why does the garage have to be heated when your in Florida?

I do car repairs in there and I have things in there that I don't want to get frozen .It can get expensive replacing things .

Beer, eh?

In order to be absolutely certain that you have enough to keep the beer from freezing is to become a pellet pig and fill up every single nook and cranny at your place (both garage and house) with pellets.

I'd start with a 22 ton load and then you can take your time replacing what you actually burn.

You can also ask folks like macman about the fine aspects of being a prime oinker.

hoss, I'm with you one must protect their beer stash at all cost.

Now back to the real world, if it isn't difficult getting pellets up there you could see how many bags you use to the end of December and do a degree day calculation. Degree days for Winnipeg divided by degree days so far this season for Winnipeg times the number of bags already burned. If this results in more than 60 bags then you have to at least make up that difference. You can fine tune it by subtracting out the sum of February and March's degree days divided by two from the degree days for Winnipeg (but I like the bit of slop the first calculation provides).

I think I will get another 20 bags ,I think I can squeeze them into my storage shed if I but the barbecue out side . Last year there was a shortage here because of exports . I think that next year I will build a pellet storage building that will hold 2 tons . If I can get it past my wife . I think it would look good in the middle of her flower garden . I will tell her it is a Gazebo and when fall comes I will fill it with pellets .

Right on Excell!!

You have the correct attitude.

Women LOVE garden structures.

Your wife may wonder why the door is so wide and the floor framing so sturdy, but just tell her that is in case she puts on weight . . . . .

Ranger

the old ranger said:
but just tell her that is in case she puts on weight . . . . .Ranger

Not sure I would go there. Best to keep the peace! :lol:

Tell her, Just in case you envite alot of guest to the next backyard barbie Q.

jtakeman said:
the old ranger said:
but just tell her that is in case she puts on weight . . . . .Ranger

Not sure I would go there. Best to keep the peace! :lol:

Tell her, Just in case you envite alot of guest to the next backyard barbie Q.

Jay,

I do believe that the old ranger likes to live dangerously, if not, he will be with a line like that :lol:.

OK, OK, just could not help myself.

Reading Krooser's posts is corrupting me . . . .

Ranger

Excell said:
This is my first year with a pellet stove in my garage . It is 500 sq ft .2X4 walls insulated .So far I have 60 bags of premium pellets so far I have been burning a bag in about three days but it is warm out . I run the stove 24 hrs a day ,but only about six to eight will it be above 40 Deg . Middle of Feb to middle of March I will be in Florida
and will have to heat with Electricity . Is 60 bags enough or should I get another 20 0r 30 ?

You say that you run the stove 24 hrs a day and you only burn 1 bag in 3 days? Thats only .56 lbs per hr. How do you do that?

the old ranger said:
OK, OK, just could not help myself.

Reading Krooser's posts is corrupting me . . . .

Ranger
I resemble that remark.....

Attachments

• Curly Howard.jpg
    Curly Howard.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 589
I don't know it is on low most of the time .I have only had it up to 5 for an hour or so at a time to warm up the garage .I don't like it to hot for working .It seems to give lots of heat when I turn it up so I think it is working OK ,I hope . That's why I don't know how many pellets to buy the coldest it got was -11 .I have no idea what to expect when it is -30 all day .

A 500 sq ft insulated garage will probably only require running that stove all winter on low just to keep it from freezing.
You won`t need to get up to 70 when it`s below 0. It had ought to stay well above freezing.
However, I can`t believe you are getting 3 full days on a bag , well maybe with a wall thermostat to turn it off and on again but not running continously on low.

SmokeyTheBear said:
......I'd start with a 22 ton load and then you can take your time replacing what you actually burn........
If I didn't know better, I'd think you've been hanging around BTU too long. :lol:

As for my "problem" buying pellets, I am in COMPLETE denial....you can NEVER have enough pellets. :coolsmile:

BTU said:
....you keep buying them, we will make more....

I WILL buy them when you get someplace near me that SELLS them. Time to call BJ's & do some arm twisting.....

Gio said:
A 500 sq ft insulated garage will probably only require running that stove all winter on low just to keep it from freezing.
You won`t need to get up to 70 when it`s below 0. It had ought to stay well above freezing.
However, I can`t believe you are getting 3 full days on a bag , well maybe with a wall thermostat to turn it off and on again but not running continously on low.

No wall T stat ,I used more this weekend I had the window out install a new one .The hole was smaller than the window so it took me about 4 hours I had it up on hi
for a while . So I used an extra bag this weekend . I don't think I will use more than a bag a day even at -40 but I don't know . If it stays this warm pellets are fgoing to get cheap here because no one is buying them .

Some of us don't have enough room to be pellet pigs. Got one pallet sitting outside under a tarp, and can fit in one more, maybe, but that's it. I also only have a 1100 sq ft home, and only plan to run pellets while I'm home. Will run the wall heaters during the day when it's warmer out and I'm away at work.

Haubera said:
Some of us don't have enough room to be pellet pigs. Got one pallet sitting outside under a tarp, and can fit in one more, maybe, but that's it. I also only have a 1100 sq ft home, and only plan to run pellets while I'm home. Will run the wall heaters during the day when it's warmer out and I'm away at work.
I think two qualifies as a pellet pig . I am at 70 bags now but don't have any more room .I only want a few bags left in the spring .

When you go to Florida, why not move the 'do not freeze' items into the house and save a LOT of electricity? Are your garage doors insulated?

Yes the doors are insulated . I just keep it at 34 Deg it won't cost that much . Unless it is nuts like last year -34 the whole time I was gone ,really felt bad for my wife .
She went home after one week and I had to stay in Texas soaking in the hot tub and playing Pool for three weeks with my buddies . Her dad got sick and she didn't trust her two sisters to look after him . I wonder how long she will last this year ? We are supposed to be gone five weeks this year ,well I will be . This year we are going with another couple and taking our motor cycles . Should be even more fun .

Wow, you're in Winnipeg and only plan to need 70 bags? Maybe my 1 pallet will be nearly enough for the winter. Are you basing your need on prior knowledge? This is my first year with the stove, so I have no idea how much I'll use.

Status
Not open for further replies.