How many seasons can I..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
How many seasons can I expect to get outa my door gasket before it's time to replace it? How long did YOU go, before doing so?

-Soupy1957

Bought a new one today, but couldn't talk myself into putting it on. The old one was still pretty good, after I vacuumed the ash out of it and "fluffed" it up a little.

It has been on for the 7 years that we have owned the stove, and probably a lot longer than that, knowing the prior owner's outlook on maintenance. :bug:

Estimate anywhere from 5 to 10 years.

My clyde door seemed almost stuck when I first opened the door coming out of the crate. The door seal was compressed since installed at the factory, and I don't think I had a good dollar bill test after a month of burning last season. I did a smoke test with good draft around door edges and blower off, and never saw any draw through the door seam. I vacuum the lower gasket to seal face as this where fine ash seems to collect from emptying ashes, or letting them build up over a couple of days. I plan on waiting until the gasket begins fraying at seam before replacing.

I am replacing mine on my Lopi Answer. Only lasted 2 burning seasons.

Based on "Backwoods Savage's" response, I'm wondering "why" yours, (daveswoodhauler) only lasted "2 burning seasons?"

-Soupy1957

Mine still passes the dollar bill test, but at some point I'll replace it anyway. I thought I was going to do it this year, but it's hard to bring myself to do all that work for something that ain't broke yet.

I did tighten the latch a couple of years ago, though.

3.216 seasons. If you start using the stove in September of the first season you will need to change the gasket on November the 12th of the fourth season.

BrotherBart said:
3.216 seasons. If you start using the stove in September of the first season you will need to change the gasket on November the 12th of the fourth season.

Hay, you gave your secret hand shake about keeping that info to yourself, BB.

soupy1957 said:
Based on "Backwoods Savage's" response, I'm wondering "why" yours, (daveswoodhauler) only lasted "2 burning seasons?"

-Soupy1957

Well Soupy, I think I got a defective one from the factory.
In a thread many moons ago, I noticed that I had 2 cracks in the stove due to improper welding at the factory.
After getting that straightened away, I had some door issues...got thouse figured out with some extra washers and adjusting the door.
The gasket seems to be ok in many areas, but almost torn apart during the bottom run, as well as the top left hand corner....noticed in the dark one night with the stove on, "now why can I see flames with the door closed" and I wasn't looking through the window.
Of course, I was new to burnin 2 years ago, so I probably opened the stove door 2 or 3 times more than I normally would had I known what I was doing :)

BrotherBart said:

You seem well versed in mathematical computations so I am wondering if you can help me out so I make sure I do not go past the optimal gasket changing time here. My math. skills are a bit rusty and I simply do not understand what the numbers mean that come after the period that follows the 3. Is that like the starting of a new sentence or something so one can expect to have a gasket last 216 seasons if one should live that long??? or do those numbers represent a secret code only seasoned wood burners are privy to?

Then one has to wonder what the 3 means....

What happens if you start using the stove in Sept. of your first year and in October in the second year and you skip a season due to global warming and then on the fourth season you start up in June? ..

.... :gulp:

perplexed said:
BrotherBart said:

You seem well versed in mathematical computations so I am wondering if you can help me out so I make sure I do not go past the optimal gasket changing time here. My math. skills are a bit rusty and I simply do not understand what the numbers mean that come after the period that follows the 3. Is that like the starting of a new sentence or something so one can expect to have a gasket last 216 seasons if one should live that long??? or do those numbers represent a secret code only seasoned wood burners are privy to?

What happens if you start using the stove in Sept. of your first year and in October in the second year and you skip a season due to global warming and then on the fourth season you start up in June? ..

With rusty math skills it is safer to just go ahead and change it every year. :smirk: Even if you don't use the stove.

BrotherBart said:
perplexed said:
BrotherBart said:

With rusty math skills it is safer to just go ahead and change it every year. :smirk: Even if you don't use the stove.

Ohhhhh Thank-You for this timely response. My remaining brain cells were bordering on collapse due to all the stress they were experiencing over this question. You are a wise man. :coolsmile:

soupy1957 said:
How many seasons can I expect to get outa my door gasket before it's time to replace it? How long did YOU go, before doing so?

-Soupy1957

Soup, thats kinda like asking how many seasons do people get on a set of snow tires.

North of 60: It's EXACTLY like that! It's amazing how much you can learn about a person's driving habits, (driving a wood stove OR a car), that way!

-Soupy1957

Just finished replacing 2 door gaskets on the 9 year old castine ( double door model ) which I prefer. Anyway, manual called for 6 and1/2 feet of 3/8ths rope gasket. Stopped at the hmchpo store on the way home from work and they had a kit of 7foot 3/8ths gasket with silicone cement by major stove parts and accessory supply co. My main conern was making sure I had enough for the 2nd. door. Long and short of story was EASY Peasy job . Less then 1 hour from start to finish. Thanks to the short video seen here on a previous post. Thanks to all for info.

soupy1957 said:
North of 60: It's EXACTLY like that! It's amazing how much you can learn about a person's driving habits, (driving a wood stove OR a car), that way!

-Soupy1957

Some people drive in the desert all winter some drive on an ice road, some drive a car and some drive a truck. Some burn propane some burn gas and some burn Diesel. Some park there cars in garages and drive them only on Sundays and some commute with them every day. Do the dollar bill test when you think you have an issue with air leaks and change or adjust according. Tough to compare.

By the way, I am on my original door gasket and still does good. Also lots of door adjustment left. On my Napoleon I changed it mid season 1st year and sold it in the second year after changing the upper baffle boards to brick the second time. Hope this helps.
Cheers

north of 60 said:
By the way, I am on my original door gasket and still does good. Also lots of door adjustment left. On my Napoleon I changed it mid season 1st year and sold it in the second year after changing the upper baffle boards to brick the second time. Hope this helps.
Cheers

Can't help it if you don't know how to burn a non-cat right Alice.

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:
Cheers

Can't help it if you don't know how to burn a non-cat right Alice.

Trying to explain the variables. You know as well as I do Trixy that its hard to compare.

north of 60 said:
Trying to explain the variables. You know as well as I do Trixy that its hard to compare.

You have every episode on DVD don't ya? Admit it.

First I had heard that you sold the Nap. Thought is was heating the garage.

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:

You have every episode on DVD don't ya? Admit it.

First I had heard that you sold the Nap. Thought is was heating the garage.

Was htg the quad shed with it for awhile. Gone to heat a good friends bungalow for $160 when his power is out.
Do I need a lawyer?

All the episodes of the Honeymooners are on VHS. Close BB

Status
Not open for further replies.