How many wood burning homes near you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 1/3 of the houses in my neighborhood in Northern NH burn wood to some extent. Its interesting in a fairly rural area that there is some social stigma associated with burning wood with some folks. Generally its people who grew up in the area who want to show they are "better" than people they went to school with. Sort of the same folks who buy the brand new "toys" every year so they have the best one. Many of the transplants (including me ) didnt grow up around here so they dont tend to care what the locals think.

There is also a groups of folks who burned wood during the oil crunch in the early eighties. Many had bad installs, junk stoves and didnt have a clue about seasoned wood. Their houses were designed for cheap oil and they went through a lot of wood and chimney fires long ago and dont ever want to do it again. I got my wood boiler for free from someone like that, just had to remove it.

Strange as it may seem even though I live in the "great north woods" firewood is hard to buy as there is only one local dealer. Most folks who burn know someone to drop them off a grapple load and they process it themselves.

At $3.60 dollars per gallon for heating oil and no options for natural gas, I will keep burning until I justify a water to water geothermal system and a large rack of solar panels.

Reactions: Gark
Status
Not open for further replies.