how much wood do you have to process

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoff310

Oct 7, 2010
Toledo Ohio area
just wondering how much wood you guys have to process when the weather breaks

Heres what I am sitting on with more Ash coming home daily

Jeff

Attachments

• 12-1610-1.jpg
    12-1610-1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 490
  • 1216-2.jpg
    1216-2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 486
  • 1216-3.jpg
    1216-3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 484
I've got 6 cord that is buried under another 3 feet since I took the snow covered pic. Don't see that happening any time soon.

Attachments

• 111210 split terrace.jpg
    111210 split terrace.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 441
  • 121010 covered heap.jpg
    121010 covered heap.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 449
By process, it appears you mean how much to split. If that is what you mean, I have a grand total of 2 trailer loads which is not a whole lot. Usually I am cutting wood at this time of year but so far this year other things have gotten in the way. Hope to start again tomorrow if at all possible though. I will just stack it up and wait until March or April and then do all the splitting and stacking. I've done this way for several years and it works out good for me. Meanwhile, the hydraulic splitter sits in the barn.

I collect and cut wood Nov. - Feb. Split wood March - early May. Burn Nov - March. I don't have a lot stored up yet but am working on several leads. hope to have 4-5 cords in spring.

I collect and cut wood Nov. - Feb. Split wood March - early May. Burn Nov - March. I don't have a lot stored up yet but am working on several leads. hope to have 4-5 cords in spring.

I shoot for 4-5 cords a year, I probably have 2 cords or so on hand right now to go toward my 2013/2014 wood.

Thought I was officially caught up for the year until last week. Next door neighbor showed up at my house in the early am - had a tree uproot and was leaning on another tree, ready to take out the powerlines along his driveway (steep hill). I grabbed the saw to help him out. Turned out it was a big red oak leaning on a smaller ash. Dropped the base of the oak and he pulled the tree out with his F350 diesel until is slid down the ash. He said I could have all the wood - so, finished bucking the main trunk today. Probably ~ 2/3 cord all in all. Just need to split now. Hope to get some done tomorrow. This oak is adding to my 2014/2015 wood - I have 3 pallets done so far, this should bring it to 5. All red oak and ash. Can't wait to get at the 4 year seasoned oak in the future.

I take delivery of a 12 cord grapple truck load in Jan/Feb and buck it all up right away. I then wait until the snow mostly melts and split it up. One truckload usually lasts me 2 - 3 years. I did the last 2 truckloads 2 years in a row and got a few years ahead. Won't have to do it again until 2012.

Waiting to split and stack, 1/2 cord sugar maple 3/4 cord red oak, 1/2 or better cherry, 2 or more cords pine. Waiting to fell, 4 oaks, 1 massive pitch pine, nearly a cord itself. I have to take the pine to get the oak, but, I get to stack the pine there till I need it, about a mile from my house. Likely sit there for 3 or 4 years. The oak I will bring home. Nobody steals pine around here. Put up 3 cords of red oak this month for 12-13.

Start cutting as soon as the weather cools off and don't quit until the weather warms up. That said I work so we are talking weekends when the weather allows...usually needs to be frozen ground. Usually cut 3 -5 cords every winter....depending on what I can find. I split only when I can't go to cut and finish splitting towards spring.

I have about a cord that just fell over and some that needs split and stacked.

i have just over a cord of red oak . we usualy get some nice weekends throughout the winter but this years so cold im not so sure when ill get to it.

I have way too much to split. Already have split and stacked in the barn about 6 cords of maple/ash. Have 3 more cords of maple/ash to split, already bucked in the barn. Also have 1.5 cords of shagbark hickory in the barn to split.

After I get that done, I have 4 downed red oaks to cut/split. They were standing dead for 3-5 years. They have been felled for a year. I still expect I will give them two full years to season. Maybe burn in 2012 season. 3-5 cords there, easy.

Goal is to have 20 cords stacked in the barn after this winter heating season wraps up.

I have about a cord of red and white oak sitting in rounds ready to be split. These are ugly chunks that will require some hydraulic assistance. I'm waiting to borrow a splitter. That will put me up to about 14 cord not counting this winter's supply. Since this March I have c/s/s about 18 cord for me and probably another 2 for my dad. I should have enough wood to last me thru the '13/14 heating season, or real close to it anyway.

I don't plan on doing any more cutting until Feb/March (depending on weather)...I'm going to get 4-5 cord put up this spring...and then maintain that rate for the foreseeable future now that I'm a few years ahead.

I'm a fair weather wood cutter . . . I cut a bunch of wood before we got this snow and stacked it in the round in different locations in the woods . . . I'll most likely get back to this wood in the Spring, haul it home, split it up and then start the seasoning process.

I just split apprx. 2 cords of ash, maple & cherry. Plan to leave work a bit early today to start stacking and have it all done sometime tomorrow...then Sunday back into the woods to start all over again. :)
I hope what I had stacked for this winter will last until spring but it's been so darn unseasnably cold here lately I wonder if some of the new ash might be buring late this heating season. It's the unpredicability of mother nature that keeps me in an endless cycle of cutting/splitting/stacking...I'm glad that so far I still enjoy it!

When it gets cold like this, I often wonder why I don't put up more wood when the weather is nice. Perhaps it's because I enjoy fishing too much. Lakes are iced in good now - so all I can do is cut and gather. I do not ice fish - yet.

I've got a pick up load of cherry rounds, and 4 loads of ash rounds. I will spend this weekend getting more ash until its gone. I've got a big oak I haven't gotten yet and my eyes are peeled for more. Last year I cut and split 9 cords. I am hoping to carry over some of that.

I'll start splitting in February - or alittle here and there. My goal is to be finished March 1st.

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Eye can't count that high!

Oh Give use a rough guess in mega cords? 10 cords = 1 mega cord.....lol

I've got abour 2/3 of the log length left to buck/split for 2012/2013, and whatever I come up with after that!

Attachments

• logs.jpg
    logs.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 137
Just bucked this yesterday. Black Oak and Cherry. I'll probably end up with this much more this winter. This is my 2nd year with this stove. I'm hoping to get by with 2.5 cords a year.

Attachments

• wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 149
<sigh>
I have about 10 cords sitting in my yard that still needs to be turned into firewood. About half is bucked, the other half is in various lengths. Dang snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.