How much wood have you burned so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighHeat22

Sep 29, 2011
southern michigan
Mild winter so far around the great lakes not much snow and not really low low temps yet. But, we know whats coming. I have not even burned a face cord of wood yet.

How much wood have you burned so far this season ?.

I don't think three FC yet..no back up heat used.

HighHeat22 said:
Mild winter so far around the great lakes not much snow and not really low low temps yet. But, we know whats coming. I have not even burned a face cord of wood yet.

You havn't burn't a face cord ? Do you live in a matchbox ? Do you keep the house at 45 F Cant be solar gain to much rain for much of that.

I've burn around 3 cord since sept. heating house, shop/garage, shed and DHW. for 5

laff.gif

I wanted to say 3-4 fc..but I didn't want to seem like a pyro or make the bkk look bad following the op's less then a fc and no mention of back up heat...lol.

Ive bunt approximately one cord. Its been very mild here in NY with the exception of a few weeks where a couple of days were cold. The entire month of Nov, I lit the stove only a few times.

I think it would really help if you guys would mention if you used any other heat source.
Otherwise your usage is moot.

Almost a face cord, plus a dozen or so packages of Eco Bricks.

I go through a 25Lx22Wx15H box almost the whole box a day...when its cold, and about half that when its milder. Install about 2 weeks ago..

2011-12-25160655.jpg

The amount in that box right now will fill my stove once..dang.

HotCoals said:
The amount in that box right now will my stove once,,maybe..dang.
\OPPS//..double post..trying to edit..sorry.

HotCoals said:
The amount in that box right now will my stove once..dang.

Dang.... I guess I'm doing alright then. How much space are you heating? I am only heating around 1200 sqft with this stove. Getting as close to 24/7 as time allows, except on mild days. Very brief oil heating, like 10 minutes each, 3 times in past 2 weeks. Cheers

Backwoods said:
HotCoals said:
The amount in that box right now will my stove once..dang.

Dang.... I guess I'm doing alright then. How much space are you heating? I am only heating around 1200 sqft with this stove. Getting as close to 24/7 as time allows, except on mild days. Very brief oil heating, like 10 minutes each, 3 times in past 2 weeks. Cheers
2500sf.
As long as it's warm like this one full load will do 24 hours easy..2 or 3 hours of small pieces and coal burning before night load.
Sometimes I burn half loads or just play around burning diff ways.
Just remember a full load for me is like 60-80#....it holds a lot.

HighHeat22 said:

In real cord, bigtooth aspen two cord, cherry .62 of a cord, working our way through .62 of a cord of sugar maple,beech and cherry. Oil use none, we also went through about 15 bags of pellets in the Yankee Pellet Stove.

Last oil delivery was Jan 2009, still have 3/4 of a tank. :cheese:

zap

We have been going strong since October 1rst. We are just about 1.25 cords. Looks to be light year.

I still think it's easier to talk in face cords. Instead of saying .62 cords you could say 2 face cords.
IE:..4 face cords,instead of 1.3 cords.

I know..I know.

.6875 cord (2 1/16 face cord) pine and .3125 cord (5/6 face cord) oak so far, (not including today).

Burning since Sept not serious though,had a few cold days in 20's lots of damp rainy days. Just playing around but we've kept warm with a few pieces here and there some full loads but very few. Anyway not quite 3/4 of a cord. Absolutely no gas or oil ,propane electric to heat this place and that's since 2004. I pay an average of 25$ a month for hot water that's it.

HighHeat22 said:

Wow, that is not much wood. Do you also use a furnace for some of your heat?

We've not went through a cord yet and the Fireview is our only source of heat.

Backwoods, that look like a lot of wood to burn in a day what you have in the box.

Backwoods Savage said:
HighHeat22 said:

Wow, that is not much wood. Do you also use a furnace for some of your heat?

We've not went through a cord yet and the Fireview is our only source of heat.

Backwoods, that look like a lot of wood to burn in a day what you have in the box.

Dennis- I'm not exactly sure what the wood is. Its very dry, and burns kinda quick. The oak and ash I'm saving for when ever it decides to get cold around here. The splits in the box are small for the most part. I'm going through about 3/4 box per 24 hours.

Less than a 1/2 cord. Much less than 1/2 of what I burned by this time last year.

C'mon Global Warming!!!

Around a half cord here. Weve seen a lot of days where the lows were upper 20's and low 30's with highs in the upper 40's to low 50's. Hard not to start a fire and turn the electric heat on but at the same time its hard to just burn at night.

HighHeat22 said:

you sound like a weekend burner

i have burned about a face cord, no other heat here adn i have a 2500sqft home. Heat some of it all if i get to hot and shut some doors to force air in other rooms. As of yet i dont think i have burned more than 3 days straight yet, as we have been warm this year to. Some nights been so warm we almost opened the doors and windows.

I think I'm about at a cord, perhaps a little over a cord. Been burning smart this year (not getting the house overly warm, etc.). Weather here has been mild for Nov and Dec, but looks like the cold is coming. Some relatively mild days this week, but still will need 3 loads/day. No 4 load days in the forecast (i.e. when highs are in the teens and low's in low singles or below zero). That's the weather that eats up my wood! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.