How much wood per season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasert39

Sep 28, 2011
SE PAA
Electric heat is getting expensive and we are thinking hard about a wood insert...I have been doing a ton of research lately and there is one question I am attempting to find an answer too...how many cords of wood am I looking at going through per season? I can get my hands on an amount for nothing each year but would also have to purchase some I'm sure to get through a whole season.

I live in SE Pennsylvania and am looking hard at the hearthstone clydesdale model insert, and I know everyone/stove is different I'm just looking for a ballpark so I can try compare total costs.

thanks in advance.

How big is your house? How good is your insulation? Are you planning to burn 24/7? Which types of wood can you get? What temp do you/your family feel comfortable with? Where will the stove be located? Even when you answer all those questions the estimate will be rough at best. Could be anything from 2 to 6 cords of mixed, seasoned hardwood.

Edited: Btw. Answering those questions will also help in giving you some guidance which size stove may be best for your application - should you be interested in any help, of course.

Four cords per year is my guess. there have been several threads here recently so you should be able to find a lot of answers from other people.

Yep, the perennial question. Usually ends up with a guess or around four cords of good dry wood a year. You will use more the first year getting used to heating with a stove.

Welcome to the forum jasert39.

I agree with the 4 cord as that is a general average but there are many factors involved here. In addition, one should already have next year's wood put up. What about this year? Wood needs time to dry before burning so before you decide to buy the stove or insert, make sure you can get some fuel. Caution here too. Some will sell "seasoned" wood. That is meaningless. Wood generally needs a year to dry after it has been split; not cut, but split. Then it needs to be stacked out in the sun.

If you pay good attention to the fuel then you will be happy with whatever stove you buy. Buy the stove and then look for the fuel and you are almost guaranteed to have problems even if you buy from someone who tells you his wood is ready to burn. We see this happening all the time. So make sure you can get fuel before getting the stove.

Its good to see your putting the horse before the cart. Most people (myself included) want to burn wood so the buy a stove, then they try to find wood-- then they end up here with problems. If you start out knowing what the differences in wood are you can burn thru the bad and get to the next year without killing yourself. Just understand you will burn a LOT more wet wood than dry wood to get the house heated. I still have to argue this with my dad, he thinks a good green log at night is the best way to slow the burn down.. I sometimes wonder if he just says that so I will perpetually go clean his chimney often.. Anyways, when you get the wood figured out the rest is money in the bank...

Jason

Jason, I never liked to "slow the burn" at any time and especially at night. I see no need for wild swings of temperature just because you are burning wood. No, I want heat at night especially because night temperatures are always lower than daytime temperatures and no sun to help either. He can have his green wood. I'll burn dry wood and keep the house warm.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jason, I never liked to "slow the burn" at any time and especially at night. I see no need for wild swings of temperature just because you are burning wood. No, I want heat at night especially because night temperatures are always lower than daytime temperatures and no sun to help either. He can have his green wood. I'll burn dry wood and keep the house warm.

I agree, and if you'd like I'll send you his phone number and you can beat your head against a brick wall later! I find it easier just to keep cleaning the pipes once and month or so. We don't get snow here so its real easy to clean 99% of the time.

Jason

:lol: :lol: Sad, but I know what you are up against.

Thanks for the replies, to answers a few questions by the first response - I would love to burn 24/7 and keep the house about 68 (i keep it 65 with the electric baseboards now), house is a well insulated ranch (approx. 1500 sq. feet that the insert could heat) with the fireplace located in the center of the house on an inside wall. - I'd love some options and suggestions as to what models I should check out. Locally I have seen the Clydesdale, Harman but certianly other models are available. The salesman kind of swayed me towards in Clydesdale if I had to choose today, I like the cast iron and soapstone line box but please tell me if I am wrong, haha.

I was just trying to get a ballpark to start with just to factor future costs, we have gone out looking but certainly haven't made up our minds at this point. This season I will still get my heating discount from the electric company so this project is more of a provision for next winter in reality.

jasert39 said:
Thanks for the replies, to answers a few questions by the first response - I would love to burn 24/7 and keep the house about 68 (i keep it 65 with the electric baseboards now), house is a well insulated ranch (approx. 1500 sq. feet that the insert could heat) with the fireplace located in the center of the house on an inside wall. - I'd love some options and suggestions as to what models I should check out. Locally I have seen the Clydesdale, Harman but certianly other models are available. The salesman kind of swayed me towards in Clydesdale if I had to choose today, I like the cast iron and soapstone line box but please tell me if I am wrong, haha.

I was just trying to get a ballpark to start with just to factor future costs, we have gone out looking but certainly haven't made up our minds at this point. This season I will still get my heating discount from the electric company so this project is more of a provision for next winter in reality.

Even with the problem I am having with my BK stove, I would still very much consider a BK princess insert. If you have a dealer close by that is. I honestly do not think there is a better functioning stove on the market.. I know there are a lot better looking stoves, and certainly some that work close to as well but with all things considered the combination of a Cat and a thermostat is pretty tough to overcome.. Not to mention the learning curve is pretty easy, kinda set it and forget it..

Jason

jtb51b said:
jasert39 said:

Even with the problem I am having with my BK stove, I would still very much consider a BK princess insert. If you have a dealer close by that is. I honestly do not think there is a better functioning stove on the market.. I know there are a lot better looking stoves, and certainly some that work close to as well but with all things considered the combination of a Cat and a thermostat is pretty tough to overcome.. Not to mention the learning curve is pretty easy, kinda set it and forget it..

Jason

I've gotten in impression from the dealer and on here, that a stove with a cat wasn't the way to go?

jasert39 said:
jtb51b said:
jasert39 said:

Jason

I've gotten in impression from the dealer and on here, that a stove with a cat wasn't the way to go?

I had this discussion with a friend of mine just today. I can see both sides of the argument but I can tell you from experience that the cat stoves are very controllable and every bit as good as the secondary burn stoves. I do agree thats there is less ambiance with my BK than my old Buck but I still like it.. I like the idea of being able to burn low and slow when I need to without plugging up a chimney, where I live its mostly shoulder season and a little winter so I use take advantage of the slower burns a lot.

Jason

PS. My buddy was saying that if he had been to a dealer that knew his stuff, and was able to see first hand a cat stove in action he would have bought one..

jasert39 said:

Your setup is actually not so much different from mine: raised ranch, PE Super insert in almost centrally located fireplace upstairs (1200 sqft), moderate insulation (still working on it); living room usually ~72 F, bedrooms in the back ~67-68. The PE Super is a medium size insert similar to the Clydesdale. It heats the upstairs well although we use electric baseboards in the bedrooms to keep temp above 66 late at night. If your house is well insulated a medium size insert (~2.5 cu. ft firebox) may be enough if you do not mind to occasionally supplement with some electric heat. However, you will probably be at the upper limit what you can heat comfortably with it. If you are thinking to fully convert to wood heat I would look at something larger (3 to 3.5 cu ft firebox). You can always build smaller fires in a large stove but not vice versa. Regarding your wood usage I would guess:

medium insert, occasional electric heat: ~3 cords
large insert, sole heat source: ~4, maybe 5 cords

In any case: Get your wood now, split and stack it and it will be good for next winter. And take your time picking a stove; you can learn a lot here and there may be some nice discounts in the spring.

P.S. It is addictive. ;)

Ditto on all the "get wood first" and stove later posts. I c/s/s this years wood two summers ago. Installed chimney and stove this year. I cut next years wood this year, as well as, most of the wood for the year after that. I'm going to finish 3rd year wood and work on 4th. I can't seem to turn down wood. Kind of sacrilegious.

Last year was my first year to burn wood for heat and we used out insert 24/7 unless the outside temps were over 60 degrees or it gets too hot. We used about 4 1/2 chords and we saved over $1,500.00 over propane. We have a 1200 sq ft house in Houston. The insert and the log splitter were used equipment. I have about $3,000.00 in the insert and the log splitter and the chainsaw and the other stuff we need to cut wood. That does not count on the truck, the trailer and the 4 wheeler to move the wood about. This year I will be even with the equipment and after it is payback time.

Next year I have an agreement with a friend to help cut my wood on my land so he will cut the wood and I will help with the log splitter and we will move the wood and set it in the barn. I am 61 so I can’t move as fast I was and I really need the help.

I have about 10 or 11 chords I have saved. I have about 1 chord that is over 7 years old, about ½ chord that is three years old, about 1 ½ chords that is over two years old, three chords that is two years old, one chord was cut after we had a storm three years from an hurricane but I didn’t cut and split and stacked it this year and four chords cut this year. My friend has agreed to help me with five chords a year.

Life is good.

Robert

Grisu said:
jasert39 said:

Your setup is actually not so much different from mine: raised ranch, PE Super insert in almost centrally located fireplace upstairs (1200 sqft), moderate insulation (still working on it); living room usually ~72 F, bedrooms in the back ~67-68. The PE Super is a medium size insert similar to the Clydesdale. It heats the upstairs well although we use electric baseboards in the bedrooms to keep temp above 66 late at night. If your house is well insulated a medium size insert (~2.5 cu. ft firebox) may be enough if you do not mind to occasionally supplement with some electric heat. However, you will probably be at the upper limit what you can heat comfortably with it. If you are thinking to fully convert to wood heat I would look at something larger (3 to 3.5 cu ft firebox). You can always build smaller fires in a large stove but not vice versa. Regarding your wood usage I would guess:

medium insert, occasional electric heat: ~3 cords
large insert, sole heat source: ~4, maybe 5 cords

In any case: Get your wood now, split and stack it and it will be good for next winter. And take your time picking a stove; you can learn a lot here and there may be some nice discounts in the spring.

P.S. It is addictive. ;)

In regards to this, I live in the OP's same location. The one year I burned only one stove, it was the Pre-EPA Vigilant stove and it was with wet wood. I ate through 5 cords. With an EPA stove, cat or non-cat, 4 cords is a safe bet. I would buy 8 cords and get two years worth at one time.

Backwoods Savage said:

Additionally, the "slow burn" with wet wood is a bunch of BS. It's a slow burn because the damn thing isn't burning, nor is it giving off heat!

If you have an elec bill handy, try to estimate how much you used for heating in a year (e.g. if it gives you an annual chart, subtract 12x your min monthly usage from your total annual usage). If you are using elec resistance heat (i.e. baseboard) a ballpark figure is 1 cord hardwood = 5000 kWh. Wood will be a lot cheaper than baseboard. If you are talking heat pump, its much harder say since your efficiency is unknown.

Not that it's a huge help, but I'll throw in my .02. We just bought the cottage late this year (last day or so of September) and have only the stove for heat, so we didn't get to buy ahead or be too choosy about wood. I'm pretty confident our wood isn't particularly well seasoned. Beginning in mid-October through now, burning when the outside temp is under 50, we've gone through about 2-2 1/2 FACE cords (I have yet to find a wood dealer selling full cords around here-even if someone is selling a "cord" it's really a face cord) and some ecobricks, probably about 10 packs. We've got a poorly insulated 680 sq ft cottage and a Lopi Republic 1750 stove. We started the season with 6 face cords and about 100 or so packs of ecobricks and I'm pretty sure we're going to be short-but we had every covered space available stuffed full, so we'll just have to buy more as we get short. We pack the stove with 4 ecobricks and two nice splits every morning to have a reasonably warm house about 10-11 hours later when we get home, then burn mostly just splits while we're home.

jasert39 said:
jtb51b said:
jasert39 said:

Jason

I think you may have got the wrong impression here . . . I would guess that while some of us are secondary burners, most of us believe that you could go with either a cat or secondary burn and be happy IF (and this is a big IF) you have seasoned wood. If you don't have seasoned wood chances are you will not be happy with either type of EPA stove.

Oh yeah . . . as to the original question . . . it seems as though most 24-7 burners say they use about 4 cords of wood each year. I figure I go through maybe 5.

Please keep in mind that wood burners don't keep the house at 68 degrees. That temperature is for storing meat!

Wood Duck said:
Please keep in mind that wood burners don't keep the house at 68 degrees. That temperature is for storing meat!

This will be music to my wife's ears....thank you for all of the information it's really appreciated

Wood Duck said:

Lots of posters here have mentioned that they keep the house in the high 60s to low 70s with the stove.

BrowningBAR said:
Wood Duck said:

Lots of posters here have mentioned that they keep the house in the high 60s to low 70s with the stove.

Yep, it is winter and the perfect time to put on a warm sweater and sip on a cup of hot tea. I don't see the need to run around in shorts and T-shirt when it's below 20 F outside. On the other hand, I still do not understand why buildings here need to be cooled to <65 F in the summer when I am happily wearing summer clothes. Having houses >75 F in the winter and <65 F in the summer just does not make any sense to me. I am always wondering how many coal fired plants we could turn off when ACs had a lower limit of 73. (Sorry for the rant.)

Status
Not open for further replies.