How not to run your PE stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisu

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2010
Chittenden, VT
I am shocked. !!! I always thought the PE baffles were bomb-proof but someone must have seriously overfired this poor stove:

Given how the baffle looks I would not run the insert without a thorough inspection of the remainder of the stove.

None of them live forever.

I would think that would take some pretty regular overfiring. Maybe they were burning something seriously corrosive like ocean driftwood?

Looks like an older PE, before they switched to a stainless baffle?

Looks like an older PE, before they switched to a stainless baffle?
Could be. Looks like the door gasket is toast too. That didn't help. One thing I see is that when the new baffle is in place he has the side sealing kaowool stuffed back in the channel instead of up against the baffle. At least that is the way I thought that it is supposed to be installed.

By the looks of the door glass I would seriously question the owners burning methods.

I was wondering if that were cardboard or soot!!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.