How reliable can I expect my Harman to be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is only on its' second winter but in that time it's been on room temp automatic set up with a set back programmable thermostat 99% of the time. It only failed to light once (Ran out of pellets). I put its' reliability right up there with the furnace. Last year the hot shoe in the furnace gave out in the middle of the night on a Friday. The furnace was set as primary heater and the pellet secondary. I woke up at 5:00 am to the pellet stove cranking and the furnace out. Reset the furnace and it start but didn't fire so I shut it down and left the pellet stove to take over and went back to bed. Couldn't get the part for the furnace until Monday so the pellet stove was the only heat until then with the temps below zero. It kept 1/3 of the house at 70 and the rest at 64. How's that for reliability?
Ron

Running on automatic is a fallacy around here and I don't know of anybody that does. If you run on manual the flame will drop to a idle and the stove will still be contributing a little heat but the cost of idling is very low. The idea of off and on during winter is more of being able to rather then a good idea. I know different stoves advertise that their model can do it but why bother would be my question. One of the good things about pellet or multi fuel stoves is a steady source of heat. Off and on isn't a steady source of heat.

It is debatable as always, and there are a lot of factors to consider. Radiant window heat designs, swing season, -40 outdoor intakes, stove placement etc... If we assume an igniter lasts 2-3 years, it would only have to save 10 or so bags a year, to save money, and I know mine does that, easily burning 5-6 tons a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.