How thick is my liner? Reuse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tjm

Feb 25, 2021
Western NY
Deciding if my liner should be replaced with a new stove. It’s 6” flex installed in 94 without insulation. Good news is I have confirmed I have enough room for the insulation. So pull it and insulate or go all new? I’m leaning toward the latter. It’s probably been run a bit toasty a few times? There is some discoloration. Can you tell the wall thickness from a pic? I’d say it’s 1/16” max, but probably a bit less. I thought a dealer mentioned 1/4”
Wall thickness “lifetime” liner, but that seems crazy thick...

04B95ADE-C778-430E-A2C4-2B415A3B2058.jpeg FBD78D5B-2C4E-4F41-B9C2-D6A4E52B5560.jpeg F862794B-4BDD-43E4-BC55-4E4C209A1CBC.jpeg

I’m no expert, but.....if it’s been in use for 27 years, I would prob replace it with an insulated liner. I’d say u got your money out of it. They’re not too expensive, especially if you get another 30 years out of the new one. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Tjm
Does the new stove have the same height / flue collar location as the old stove? If the new stove has an angled collar, or is shorter you may need a new liner anyway to avoid having to do a splice or customer appliance adapter mount.

Does the new stove have the same height / flue collar location as the old stove? If the new stove has an angled collar, or is shorter you may need a new liner anyway to avoid having to do a splice or customer appliance adapter mount.
Height wise I think I’d be ok especially after cutting out the original smoke shelf and straitening it out. Might need to be shortened. I assume I’ll go new but had one chimney guy say it’s a waste of money cause that is a “lifetime” liner.

FYI, stainless discolors when heated...and does not need to be overheated to do so.

Height wise I think I’d be ok especially after cutting out the original smoke shelf and straitening it out. Might need to be shortened. I assume I’ll go new but had one chimney guy say it’s a waste of money cause that is a “lifetime” liner.
You have a heavy wall flex liner. And yes it is a "lifetime" liner. But the problem is the lifetime of that liner as determined by most manufacturers is 30 years. I would replace it

Reactions: electrathon and Tjm