How to add treatment chemicals to system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Another possibly dumb question but got to be asked. For adjusting the PH I can do a gallon first figure out how much to add and then add enough for the capacity of the wood boiler and fill the system. But after the system is full and run some and I re-test the water if it still needs to be adjusted how do I ADD treatment to the system??

I was thinking of putting a pair of ball valves on a vertical section of pipe and between them a pair of drains, one pointing up and one down. This way I can close of that section of pipe with the ball valves, drain the water test it. THen close the bottom drain, open the top and add the treatment. Close the drain and then open the ball valves again and circulate.

Am I doing this the hard way or is there a simplier method??

Im quite sure that my current system has not been tested or treated for either PH or oxygen. WHen the 'professional" added the second zone to the system and drained the boiler down someto break into it to add the pump and rest of zone he did not test the water or put any treatment in it at all.

~ Phil

I have a small Wayne Porta-Pump with garden hose connections on both ends, which I used to use to pump out water heaters, etc. I'm using it to add chemical, and circulate water in my OWB until I get everything connected and hang my circ's. I hook up to the drain, prime it, put chemical mixed with some water into a bucket, and pump it in.

Faced the same issue in my pressurized system. Solution to the problem came naturally. This summer when the tank cooled down to about 60, system pressure was 0, so I just added chemical directly to the storage tank and ran the circ pump to mix well. At tank temp of about 70, noticeable pressure in the system, and at operating temp, pressure is about 20.

Hi thanks guys, I think for the cost of a couple ball valves and drains I set up what I mentioned above to allow adding solutions to the system.

~ Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.