How To Clean the Pellet Vent Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney1963

Oct 4, 2008
Windham Maine
Hi, today I thought I would try running a 3" dryer vent brush through my pipe just to gauge how much ash was in it at this point. The bristles seemed too stiff to even push it into the pipe Am I using the right instument?

I have seen a brush designed especially for pellet vents. Do a google search. Not to expensive,
maybe 30 buck or so.
Let me know how you make out if you get one....its on my list!

I use a 10 ft flexible brush for the pipe too. Sometimes it gets a bit
stubborn going around the bends in the pipe, but will work if you twist it
around while forcing it through.

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 316
That looks like the same thing I have. I will just have to get more forceful.

I know, I just keep eating and eating. Is it time to change my avatar?

honestly, with my set up at least, its just as easy to pull the pipe apart, and clean each section outside by shaking and banging it out

imho

billybono

I've only been burning since October, just wanted to get a sense of how much ash can build up. I have sealed every rivet, joint, seam that can be seen. Don't want to have to take it apart until the end of the heating season. Simply want to run the brush through to the clean out tee to see how much is in the pipe so far.

sydney1963 said:
I've only been burning since October, just wanted to get a sense of how much ash can build up. I have sealed every rivet, joint, seam that can be seen. Don't want to have to take it apart until the end of the heating season. Simply want to run the brush through to the clean out tee to see how much is in the pipe so far.

if that stove is running right, you should only have to clean the flue once a season

i wouldent worry about it unless your getting really unusual ash build up in the stove, burning poor quality pellets, or installed too many elbows on the flue

pull off the cleanout tee and shine a flashlight up there. a simple visual inspection

billybono

At the end of the season, if you can get the brush all the way through
from the Tee to the outside, you should not need to take your pipes
apart at all. .....Guess it depends on the setup

Fire is burning great just checking my pipes. LOL

I plan on pulling my exhaust blower motor off after a ton or two and attacking ash with a flexible vac hose as well as cleaning the blower fins,

Status
Not open for further replies.