How to design/install my pipes from the stove to the wall??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonsered

Feb 7, 2010
Woodstock CT
Guys,

I posted in Ratman's thread about his Energy Harvester stove from the late 70s to early 80s. Well I have since purchased one of these old babies and am interested in advice on how to set it up. I do not currently have a hole in the wall or a chimney so I will be working from scratch. The good news is that the building is framed and sided but not insulated or sheet rocked yet so I do not have to do too much demolition before I start assembling.

Here is my situation. My stove has a 5 inch rear exhaust and I am trying to figure out the best way to set the stove up for operation. I do not have any knowledge of the advantage of running the stove pipe straight back out of the stove through the exterior wall of my cabin and then into a metal chimney, I am not even sure if thats possible.

OR, I was wondering how to determine how high to run a 90 degree elbow up over the stove and then another 90 into the wall and feed that into the metal chimney outside?

Please give me any and all advice and if you have any questions about the setup let me know.

Thanks!

Nate

Dave,

Thank you for the info! I am going to find an adaptor to go from 5" to 6" right out of the stove so I will hopefully avoid any issues with special diameter stove pipe etc.

Maybe the T system is not the way to go for me and I should just run the stove pipe out the back of my stove then a 90 up then a 90 out the wall and then run a 90 up and build my stainless chimney on the outside of the wall...does that make sense?

Nate

I'm sorry I should have outlined it more clearly...the stove will be on the first story and there is a second story above which I cannot go through inside the house.

Nate

So I made a small sketch of what I am talking about. The sketch shows two different stove pipe options to help explain what I am trying to say. The hard pipe shows the 90 degree up after leaving the stove and then the dotted pipe shows the straight back design from the stove's exhaust flange.

I am wondering if there are any major advantages/disadvantages to each?

Thanks,

Nate

I've read from some people on here that a couple of 45* angles are better than one 90*. How would that effect your set up?

That may be a viable option for sure. I sent a sketch of my two ideas to see what people think about the horizontal exhaust out to the chimney and then up...once it is posted we can see what comes of it.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.