How to keep birds out of this pellet vent hood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

My neighbor has the hood in the pic below coming outside the wall of his house about 20 feet off the ground.
What is the best way to keep birds and other animals out of this type of pellet hooded vent?

Attachments

• TRHShedPelletStoveExhaustHoodSC.jpg
    TRHShedPelletStoveExhaustHoodSC.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 835
j-takeman said:
Chicken wire and some pop rivets?

Chicken wire would work, but there are small birds that might be able to squeeze through that (sparrows, finches, etc).

Check at your local hardware or Lowes/HD for some wire mesh that has openings no bigger than about 3/4" dia.

Could be made large enough to wrap around edges and secured with sheet metal screws & small washers, if pop rivet gun isn't available.

Would Rat wire work too?

Just askin'

Thats whats on my Fathers Englander and mine. I just pushed some small mesh screen (1" octagon holes) up imside and have had zero problems. Cut a little larger than the opening and it will hold itself in place.

Keep the stove on.

Maybe just a nice simple sign that says "No Birds allowed" or "Birds- Keep Out" or "No trespassing in this pipe for all birds" or something to that effect. If that doesn't work, try the chicken wire.
Actually, the chicken wire might suffice without the sign. Your choice.

window screen

johnnycomelately said:
Maybe just a nice simple sign that says "No Birds allowed" or "Birds- Keep Out" or "No trespassing in this pipe for all birds" or something to that effect. If that doesn't work, try the chicken wire.
Actually, the chicken wire might suffice without the sign. Your choice.
ha ha ha . the jokes just keep getting funnier

smilejamaica said:
window screen
I think that is a no go. mesh is way too fine and would quickly be obstructed with particulate from the stove's exhaust leaving you with a obstructed chimney. Even with the larger mesh hardware cloth, you are going to want to keep checking to make sure there is no accumulation on the wire. Any accumulation will be a disadvantage. Same reason why you have to clean your clothes dryer filter screen after each use. Off topic, but while on dryer vents, I was told clothes softeners residue would plug the screen on dryers. I did the test they recommended by pouring water on the screen. Sure enough, the water pooled. scrubbed the screen and the rinse water went through freely.

How about gutter screen?

Attachments

• sept09_044.16492109_std.jpg
    sept09_044.16492109_std.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 528
Keep her burning.

Eric

xraycer said:
How about gutter screen?

+1 on the gutter screen. I have the same termination cap and plan to use a piece of leftover from my pellet-sifter-vac. I havent had any birds get in there, but the stove has been running pretty regularly since we installed last month. We did a have a couple of unwelcomed bats over the years. :snake: They gained entry through our lengthy 4" pipe setup that terminated at the roofline. That setup was taken down once the Earth Stove burned out.

PA_Clinker said:
xraycer said:
How about gutter screen?

+1 on the gutter screen. I have the same termination cap and plan to use a piece of leftover from my pellet-sifter-vac. I havent had any birds get in there, but the stove has been running pretty regularly since we installed last month. We did a have a couple of unwelcomed bats over the years. :snake: They gained entry through our lengthy 4" pipe setup that terminated at the roofline. That setup was taken down once the Earth Stove burned out.

Just as long as you keep it clean as it is even more of an ash catcher than the half inch hardware cloth (which is actually half inch mesh welded wire).

Mine comes off once I no longer am likely to shut the stove down other than to clean it. Birds and other critters stay out when the stove is running.

you'd think they'll build those with a flapper like a dryer vent has,,,

with the stove running it would be open, then close once the stove shuts down

Wonder if that vent would be a likely spot for hornets, wasps, or bees?

I have that exact hood on two of our stoves.

Just use a piece of harware cloth with 3/8" square mesh, fold a little flange on each side and install in the opening and fasten with a couple screws or as mentioned "Pop rivets"\

The occasional cleaning is always a good thing.

Other creatures like BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES can get in but a little fire will handle then easily.

Smaller screen like the gutter stuff will plug with ash and cause grief. The larger mesh may not stop the smallest birds.

Dont go smaller than the 3/8 mesh.

Snowy

oldmountvernon said:
CTguy9230 said:
you'd think they'll build those with a flapper like a dryer vent has,,,

with the stove running it would be open, then close once the stove shuts down

probably be to dangerous if the flap would get stuck or malfunction

thats a good point, i didnt give that a thought

guess when i,m done burning for the year i,ll just pop mine off
and tie a rag or something on it to prevent the birds and the bees...

Status
Not open for further replies.