HOW TO REMOVE OLD PAINT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
I just bought a older home that was built in 1940. The 2 story farmhouse has cedar siding that im assuming is original. It has multiple layers of paint that is flakeing and chipping. The siding is unique in the fact that it is only 3 inches exposed to the weather. Most homes in the area have 4 to 8 inches exposed. I understand the lead paint potential. Hand scraping is not a option because I think it would be easier to remove it then reside. ANYONE have the answer?

I'm not certain by your post which you want to remove. I'm thinking the paint, but the post could be read that it would be easier to remove the siding and reside.

Siding is easy enough to rip off so I'll go with removing the paint.

You can burn it off with a heat gun... beware of lead paint fumes! And you have chemical strippers. Go with one that had metheline chloride in it. Make sure it is the gel form as the regular liquid stuff will run down the wall! Due to the evaporation of the stripper it would probably be good to cover the area that you are stripping with a dropcloth and do a small section at a time. You will still be scraping the goop off the wall though.

I would think abrasion would be rough on the shingles.

Matt

jimdeq said:
I just bought a older home that was built in 1940. The 2 story farmhouse has cedar siding that im assuming is original. It has multiple layers of paint that is flakeing and chipping. The siding is unique in the fact that it is only 3 inches exposed to the weather. Most homes in the area have 4 to 8 inches exposed. I understand the lead paint potential. Hand scraping is not a option because I think it would be easier to remove it then reside. ANYONE have the answer?

How many sq ft are you looking at? Are you planning on repainting, or do you want it to the point where you can do a "natural" finish or semi-translucent stain.

Heres what I'd do,

Pressure wash, collect all paint chips (lead very possible in a home of that age, deliver them to haz mat facility), hand scrape all areas needing any attention after the pressure wash, prime using oil based bonding primer (I like porter), Then 2 coats of finish over that. You'll never paint again.

Bocefus78 said:
Heres what I'd do,

Pressure wash, collect all paint chips (lead very possible in a home of that age, deliver them to haz mat facility), hand scrape all areas needing any attention after the pressure wash, prime using oil based bonding primer (I like porter), Then 2 coats of finish over that. You'll never paint again.

This is what i have seen recommended. no reason why you cannot just pressure wash and inspect for areas that need some hand scraping and then repaint.

Any paint chips that you find can go in the regular trash. The wont do any harm there.

Definitely assume you are dealing with lead and read up on your State and local regulations. You may or may not need to take specific steps (many places allow homeowners to do things less formally than contractors) but you _don't_ want to have someone swoop down on you in enforcement mode mid-project, or end up with a situation where there's some alleged violation connected/documented with the property that someone might even see as a detriment to its value later.

And regardless of whether any official mandates apply, read up on and practice safety measures so that you don't contaminate yourself, the insides or surroundings of the home (fine particle lead dust is surprisingly mobile and persistent) and those who you care about.

I heard once from a fellow who does restoration of detailed architectural woodwork that he sometimes uses a pneumatic tool called a "needle scaler" that is more typically used to remove paint or welding slag from metal. A bunch of steel pins in repetitive percussion knock loose any paint that is not securely bonded to the surface beneath, and the paint that is still really well bonded to the subsurface is cleaned and roughened so that new paint gets a better bond. If one were to use that on old paint, though, you would _definitely_ want a scaler that has a vacuum surround near the working "nose" that's percussing the painted surface, with the particles/ airstream being pulled into an appropriately-filtered HEPA (or better) vac. I have used a set-up like this on small areas and it worked really well- but YMMV and you are responsible for deciding if you can do it in a way that is safe/ appropriate.

Bocefus78 said:
Heres what I'd do,

That's what I'd do too. Only you'll be doing it again in 5-10 most likely.

research the tool Paint Shaver. It looks like an angle grinder but has a rotating head with adjustable cutting blades underneath. It cuts the paint of the wood. Regarding paint chips, it has a side chute that picks up a hose you attach to your shop vac...you run them at the same time. I don't own one but am waiting for a friend to finish his house so I can borrow it when he's done!. They aren't cheap, but you can find them used on CL or ebay. I think you could invest in the tool, do the job and sell it for almost what you paid. It's fast. good luck.

Put plastic down to catch paint chips. Work wet. Allways keep the spot your scraping wet with a mist bottle or hose. Wear a lead aproved mask. wash hands before using tobaco or eating.
dont eat use tobbaco on the Job. Keep young children and pregnet women away from work site. Also should wear disposable paint suit to keep lead off your clothes and contaminating inside your home and other laundry. Most home owners are allowed to do the work without special permits.

Misread OP. If you want to tear off, same thing. Work wet, catch all debries, follow precautions listed in other post.

The only real exposure for lead problems for homeowners (DIY's) are children. If you have young children read up on lead concerns. There are some legitimate concerns, but the siding is probably not one of them. The interior of this house is where a child is going to expose themselves to lead. Unless of course you bring it inside with you after working outside.

If you are scraping and/or sanding you should get a half-mask with P100 filters. If indoors, contain the room with poly-sheeting and duct tape. The paint chips and dust can be wet wiped clean. Hygiene is important too. Wash your hands and face etc. after the work is done and/or if you are going to eat. Keep kids, food, and drink out of the work area.

It really depends on what kind of a paint job you're looking to accomplish. When I did my house I pressure washed, scraped/wire brushed out the dead fibers, pressure washed again, sprayed an oil-based primer and BACKBRUSHED IT INTO THE WOOD, another quick coat of primer BRUSHED INTO THE WOOD, then sprayd and backbrushed two coats of latex. It looked brand new, and you shouldn't have to go through this much trouble once but every 20 years or so. A top coat at 5 years, 10 years, scrape the bubbles and re-prime, touch up is a lot easier than waiting too long.

I wasn't dealing with lead, however. I like the paint shaver idea.

The lead paint law is Federal. not state or local so it applies to everyone. Best do some research before starting any paint removal from any house built before the mid 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.