How worried should I be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphex

Nov 21, 2009
central Maine
Hi All,

(first time post so be gentle.) When I'm firing up my Tarm and the fire is burning fairly hot (500-550 in the stack) and boiler is still getting up to temp (no circulation yet) it often starts banging violently like every 5-10 seconds. I switch off the fan, wait 10 minutes and switch it back on and the banging doesn't return. Once there's a bed of coals and stack drops down to 400-430 it's of course, fine. Should I be worried? And is there something I should do to prevent the banging?

thanks,
Roger

sounds like you need to bleed air off the bleeder on the top of the boiler. If you do a search on this site you will find several threads on this subject. Welcome aboard

Could be you have a valve closed or an air lock somewhere in your piping? Maybe a heck valve in backwards?

That sound could be the water flashing to steam in the boiler because of no flow condition.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.