How would you build this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbonics

Nov 5, 2014
Carbondale, CO
How would you build the protected walls and ceiling as seen in these photos?
  1. How do they hide the 1" air gaps?
  2. How do you think the wall are constructed?
  3. How high do you think the ceiling is behind the mantel?
  4. Can you install a mantel that close and still conform to clearance reduction standards?
Any other comments on the construction would be appriciated

Thanks

How would you build this? How would you build this?

The photos look like they are from a sales page. That means that they are probably fake photos judging by the fire..

The 1" air gaps appear to be there, just more of an illusion that they aren't.
My guess is that the walls are stucco, which means they are non-combustible
Ceiling - no idea
The mantel could be wood or it could be fake and actually made out of stone or concrete - or my guess is that it's put there by the graphic artist to make it look better but not legal. If it is wood, it could very well be the legal minimum distance from the surface. In my case, 16" is enough.

My set-up is not dissimilar. I have a few inches of stove pipe, then go directly to insulated SS chimney to ensure clearances of 1"

That means that they are probably fake photos judging by the fire..

Bingo, i have noticed a lot of different stoves and pictures seem to always have the "same exact" fire in them.
I think its to lure you into buying a stove and then finding out later you need this and that to actually make it work

Usually the people making the sales flyers don't know squat about stoves. I had someone call me about one of our stoves on our website that is sitting right on a hardwood floor. He asked "that stove doesn't need floor protection". We (tech) rarely look on the website...but after that call I reviewed all the pics we had and brought it to the media dept. attention that they need to make pictures that at least look like proper installations. Guess a lot of times stuff like this gets overlooked. Artistic expression maybe....

Sorta like the Jeep passing the hikers on the trail in the Rockies. My favorite I saw a few months ago but can't find it to post. Big stove in the middle of a living room with fire blazing but no chimney. I did find this pic and wonderedHow would you build this? how long before the big screen starts to drip onto the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.