How would you vent in this situation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlrobinhood

Hearth Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
Northern MT
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for awhile listening to all your good advice. And, I finally pulled the trigger on a Quadrafire Castile. It is a used unit, but the price was right. This is not the primary heat source for the house. More for ambiance than anything else. This house doesn't have a fireplace and I really miss one. Anyways, we want to put it in our living room and really only have one location that I can put it due to decks, two story home, and an entry alcove that is creating venting challenges.

I have attached a file called "stove venting." It is a schematic that I drew. Please pay attention to the window next to the stove, the window in the entry alcove, and the alcove it self. I have drawn in two options (Option 1 is red and Option 2 is blue). Both of these would be horizontal 3-inch double walled vent. Once outside, I would have the option of terminating at a horizontal vent or going to a vertical vent pipe (with clean-out T) that is 4-inch and then take it up above the main roof line (see file titled "outside").

Also, for some more reference pictures I have a file titled "frontal". This picture shows the living room. The wooden Remington ammo box represents approximately where the stove will go and I have marked the locations for the wall thimbles for both Option 1 and Option 2. Another file, "alcove shot" shows an angle from the alcove. In Option 1, I would connect the two red dots (locations for thimbles) via a 90-degree elbow. Lastly, the file "outside" shows where Option 1 and Option 2 would exit the house and also displays a option of a 4-inch vertical vent.

My questions to you are:

1) Of options 1 or 2, which would you choose?
2) With this many 90-degree elbows, how would you get a good clean of the vent pipe?
3) Are there any other options out there that I have not thought of? I could vent straight up, but it is a two story home (the second story is a finished attic) and I just put a new roof on.
4) What do you think about the optional 4-inch vertical vent?
5) Any other thoughts, comments, or concerns?

Thanks a million and look forward to your advice.

Attachments

• Stove Venting.jpg
    Stove Venting.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 990
  • frontal.jpg
    frontal.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 976
  • alcove shot.jpg
    alcove shot.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 966
  • outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 984
If you went through the ceiling into the upstairs would it be behind a finished knee wall. You need to get away from the valley on the roof.Even though you just reshingled I would still go through the roof if possible. You would have a cleaner look on the outside of your house also.

Maybe you should ask this over in the Pellet forum. I'm not familiar with pellet stoves but isn't there a risk of blackening your nice white siding? Also, that looks to be your front entry.

I wouldn't put the stove there. What is available for other locations and what is above the stove where you currently are planning to install it that would complicate straight up venting.

Option two is about as aesthetically awkward as it could get, not even mentioning the 90 degree bends, which would make any vertical setup outside require 4" pipe, and you are going to want the vertical so smoke won't come back into the house if the stove looses power.

Option one is better one because you'll be able to stick with 3" pipe and still get have a vertical run.

You could go 45 degree straight 45 degree as an alternative on option two likely retaining the ability to use 3" pipe all of the way.

I'd consider swapping the tv and stove positions and venting the stove out the side wall..it would also "blow" more heat central with the stove on that wall or even in the corner... my 2

Hi all,

Wow, thanks for all the responses. So I started the project today and am going to go with Option 1. I know its not ideal, but there really isn't any other place I can put the stove as I only have two exterior walls in the living room and the long one is flanked with a large deck. Also, going up wasn't really going to work as the enclosed knee wall isn't very large and the valley runs through it. Once I get her fired up, I let you know how it goes. I figured this way if the horizontal termination doesn't work, I can put in a verticle pretty easy.

On another note, for the wall thimbles, should the hole in the wall be round or square? A square hole doesn't really make sense, but that is what the instuctions imply? What do you guys think?

Thanks again.

round as most thimbles are round where they go through the wall

The hole has to be cut for the thimble according to the thimble manufacturers instructions.

It really has nothing to do with the pipe itself.

Read the instructions follow the instructions, in most places the instructions are legally the code, which by the way you must follow.

You really should have a vertical run on that stove if there is an air wash, or the hopper isn't sealed, or you don't install an OAK you have a very good potential for smoke in the house if the power fails. The reason for the vertical section isn't because a horizontal vent won't allow the stove to burn right, it is to prevent smoke back when that combustion blower goes poof or the power takes a powder.

As for all of us here being wood burners, nope not all of us, perhaps most of us. In this forum we burn little logs without the bark, man is it difficult to stack a cord of pellets, it's really the pits when they get wet and become puff balls. Some of us burn corn and other plant material.

Good luck with your install.

yknotcarpentry said:
I'd consider swapping the tv and stove positions and venting the stove out the side wall..it would also "blow" more heat central with the stove on that wall or even in the corner... my 2

I have to agree with yknot....the corner is the best location. You said that wasn't good because of a deck? I didn't see one in the outdoors pic.

I'd put the stove in the corner, vent out the side of the house near the corner, install a cleanout T, then go up about 3-4' for some draft.

Where your going to put it, I sure hope you don't direct vent it.....if you have a dirty burn, or the wind blowing toward the house....that pretty white siding is going to look bad.

Take a look at this pic by Rod Poplarchick (hearthtools) as an examle why:

Attachments

• pelletdirectventfix.jpg
    pelletdirectventfix.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 802
You won't get that black on the siding if you extend that horizontal vent out about 24".... IMHO.

Hey Krooser,

Thanks for the reply. What do you think of the round hole versus square hole on the thimble? On another note, do you know if the exhaust pipe should be loose on the back of a Quadrafire Castile pellet stove? I can move mine about a quarter inch.

Also, I love your avatar "BR549"!! Great show and country music band!!

rlrobinhood said:
Hey Krooser,

Thanks for the reply. What do you think of the round hole versus square hole on the thimble? On another note, do you know if the exhaust pipe should be loose on the back of a Quadrafire Castile pellet stove? I can move mine about a quarter inch.

Also, I love your avatar "BR549"!! Great show and country music band!!

You are following code on that exhaust system right? I remember something about venting and 3 screws at every joint and the use of high temperature silicon sealant or silicon gaskets, don't remember anything about slip joints. Seems the sealant and screws stop all of that. It must be gas tight if you can move it it likely ain't gas tight.

Nothing like a little CO in the morning to go with that first cup of wake up juice.

rlrobinhood said:
.....On another note, do you know if the exhaust pipe should be loose on the back of a Quadrafire Castile pellet stove? I can move mine about a quarter inch.

You ARE using an appliance adapter on the back of the stove first, before any pipe, right?

macman said:
rlrobinhood said:
.....On another note, do you know if the exhaust pipe should be loose on the back of a Quadrafire Castile pellet stove? I can move mine about a quarter inch.

You ARE using an appliance adapter on the back of the stove first, before any pipe, right?

Yep

I didn't read your thread in it's entirety, but i didn't see you asking about installing a cold air supply. Make sure you install one, or else you will be using interior air for combustion, which completely counteract the stoves effort to heat your house.

I love a challenge.

I have in stalled several Pellet stoves and over the years have come to like the short Horizontal vents.

If you can maintain the required distances from openings such as door as and windows (four feet) your set.

The best cap is the 45 degree down angled stainless unit with a screen to keep birds and rodents out.

I have had long tall vents on Pellet stoves and with one exception I would never do it again.

The hastle of cleaning was just more effort than it was worth.

I have never ever had an issue with smoke coming back into the room during a power outage either.

The shortest possible run that you can make is the best, especially when its horizontal.

Pellet exhaust is relatively cold as compared to other stoves. This tends to keep the stack draft less effective.

Most stoves today use an exhaust blower to pull the exhaust from the stove and to pull combustion air into the fire pot.

My recomendationis to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I have been through two installs here at the ranch that were Problematic and were the LESSER of the evils.

Have fun and keep us posted

Snowy

go vertical... it will save your siding, and prevent smoke spillage if the elec goes out... also, with most pellet units (not all, but most) you cannot horizontally terminate the vent w/ in 48" side to side, or below a door/ window, you can, however, be 12" over it.

stalepizza said:
I didn't read your thread in it's entirety, but i didn't see you asking about installing a cold air supply. Make sure you install one, or else you will be using interior air for combustion, which completely counteract the stoves effort to heat your house.
lol

if you aim the exhaust vent towards those steps you may never need to shovel them again. :)

I'm a fan of fresh air intake, so i suggest that.
are both of those windows I see sealed permanently? I see the one in the LR looks fixed (picture window), but I'm not sure about the entry way/mud room window there.
If the thimble is round, cut a round hole, if it is square, cut a square hole.
exhaust pipe should not move, i repeat, exhaust pipes should not move (ok, maybe like a 1-2mm or so is ok)

and look, someone made blimp laugh, its good times.

imacman said:
yknotcarpentry said:

I have to agree with yknot....the corner is the best location. You said that wasn't good because of a deck? I didn't see one in the outdoors pic.

I'd put the stove in the corner, vent out the side of the house near the corner, install a cleanout T, then go up about 3-4' for some draft.

Where your going to put it, I sure hope you don't direct vent it.....if you have a dirty burn, or the wind blowing toward the house....that pretty white siding is going to look bad.

Take a look at this pic by Rod Poplarchick (hearthtools) as an examle why:
probly easier to clean the siding than the riser. & the wind blows generally from N in winter

Xena said:
You guys do realize this thread is from January?
Just sayin :p

well now, I was just testing everyone, yeah, thats it, i knew it all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.