Hudson River West Point brand new 250 Deg Hi Limit snap disc trips on Heat Level 4 or 5?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Just went over my friends house again with the West Point. The last time I was there, I put in a brand new Selco L250M air stream mount 250 Deg F Hi Limit switch. The stove was down again so I checked everything out. The # 3 light on the upgraded control panel was blinking and the Hi Limit switch was tripped. Everything else works really good. She said she cranked the stove up to the 4 or 5 heat level setting and that is when the Hi Limit tripped.

Should the 70K BTU West Point have the same 250 Deg Hi Limit switch as the 50K BTU Saranac stove? I know the that new snap disc is not bad or flakey and it did reset ok.

The 3 LED was blinking because she tried to start it up with the Hi Limit tripped! Makes sense!

I just found this info on the upgraded control board troubleshooting status! Great Info!
Hudson River Upgraded Control Panel Troubleshooting

1st - Try not to let the stove completely run out of wood pellets because it empties out the auger flight chute.There are 3 cycles or operation. Start-Cycle , Run Cycle , and Shutdown Cycle.The Start-CycleThe ignitor heats up as the auger starts turning to drop pellets into the burn pot.If there is no fire within a certain time, then the stove will shut down.If the stove runs out of pellets and the auger flight chute is empty, then it takes longer to fill the auger chute with pellets before they start dropping into the burn pot.The stove may not start if the auger chute is not full of pellets. So if the pellets run out you can press the auger button to continually feed the pellets so the fire will start before the time out and shutdown. You can also put a handful of pellets into the burn pot.The blinking heat lights.If the stove does not start and one of the heat level lights is flashing, then you must bend down and look at the control panel straight on to see which light is blinking.I believe the information below is the troubleshoot information for your control board.

My Stove isn’t burning and the number 2 LED light is blinking. This diagnostic light
indicates the vacuum switch no longer senses negative pressure in the firebox area of the
Stove. What caused the Stove to go out?
Solution:
If the fire is out and the stove is off simply re-light the Stove, however if
the fire is still burning in the burn pot make sure all doors are securely latched and hold
down the On/Off button (approximately 5 seconds) until Stove starts up again. This will
re-start the Stove in the start-up program.

a. The door of the unit was left open longer than 60 seconds. (See solution)
b. The ash pan door was left open for longer than 60 seconds. (See solution)
c. The combustion fan is not running. (Defective fan or control board)
d. The vacuum switch is defective.
e. The vacuum hose is disconnected
f. The vent system is plugged with fly-ash.

My Stove isn’t burning and the number 3 LED light is blinking. This diagnostic light
indicates that the Proof of Fire Switch no longer senses a fire in the Stove. First check to
see if there are pellets in the hopper. If there are pellets in the hopper, we need to figure
why the Stove went out.

My Stove isn’t burning and the #4 LED light is blinking. This means the high Limit has shut
the Stove down. The Convection Blower could be defective or may need cleaning. The high limit
switch may be also defective. It is best to call your dealer for support when trying to troubleshoot
the High Limit Switch. Do not use your Stove if the High Limit switch frequently trips.

I am not sure if you got my response. I have never had the high limit trip. I always run the convection fan on high. I have run the stove on high for about an hour without issue. I would ask if she ran on setting 4 or five for a long time and then went down to 1. If she did the stove may have been too hot as the fan would kick down to the lower settting. I think under this scenario the high limit could trip. It eould have been nice if the control board would run on the highet setting for a few minutes after changing settings.

There is a lot of heat coming out if the stove on those settings.....I never run over 3.....i use hi/lo.

L

Status
Not open for further replies.