Hudson River-Westpoint-New and Smokey after 16 hours of use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarey

Nov 6, 2008
mid atlantic
I just had this stove put in yesterday. I chose it b/c it was one of the only stoves I felt comforable heating 2500-3000sq ft. It is located on the first floor, in the right rear corner of a rectangular 2 story house. They direct vented out the side of the house about 12" with a 45 degree elbow pointed down. They also installed the intake vent, which is flush mounted to the outside about one foot to the side of the exhaust vent.

While the contractor was testing the stove, the smoke detectors went off, which they said was common and part of the curing process. After they left, we turned up the heat. For some reason the heat stays pretty trapped in the room where it is installed..8-10 degrees warmer than the adjacent rooms. Soon after turning up the heat from 1 to 2 the smoke detectors went off again. I chalked this up to the curing again.

So I disconnected the smoke detectors so we could get to sleep (which was not easy considering I had this new contraption that I was not too comfortable with) and let the stove burn on low setting from about 9pm to 6am.

I woke up to a very strong smoke smell which got my head pretty congested. Don't get me wrong, you couldn't see the smoke, but it was pretty smelly and I'm sure unhealthy.

So, 2 problems:
1. I'm still burning propane due to the smoke output of this stove.
2. I had to use an oscillating fan to blow out the heat from the "stove" room . I don't know if I can imagine a ceiling fan working as well as the oscillating fan and the oscillating fan is not really a great decorating idea. What are the options?

Simply put, some stoves will smell longer than others... fresh paint and oil are usually the culprits... the more you use the stove the less stink you'll have. It will be gone in short order.

You need air circulation to move the heat from room to room... no different than if you only had one heat register/radiator in the house.

We use a large fan that is set on low to circulate the heat ... our house is only 1100 sq. ft. but the floor plan is pretty weird with two additions put on over the last 100 years. Wiithout the fan only two rooms would be warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.