I admit that I have a problem....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewoodjunky

Sep 18, 2010
Central/Western MA
I am soooo happy to have found fellow firewood junkies! I just want to say thanks to everyone that posts on this forum for all of the great information and the laughs. I feel at peace knowing that there are others out there with my same problem!

Here's today's haul (I think that I am gonna need some Aleve tonight!). This is about half of what was given to me, I tried to get it all today but these old bones weren't up to it. I hope to have it done by Monday afternoon, I have about a third of a pile of some monster trunks that are already limbed and six to eight whole trees to buck. My wife is gonna kill me when she gets home - I don't know where she's going to park her car!

Attachments

• P1010025#2.bmp
    549.4 KB · Views: 527
Here's another angle of todays scrounge -

Attachments

• Today's Scrounge, side angle.bmp
    666.3 KB · Views: 496
What an absolute beautiful site !! Just remember....... it's always easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission !! :)

Well, we'll see how that works out for me! I have just under two weeks before she returns from an extended business trip. If, and this is a really big if, I get this all bucked and split I will have a replica of the Alamo with my fences of wood.

I'm not sure, but I think this may put me towards 2014. Not bad considering I just bought the place in June. Although I did have to buy two cords to get me started for this year - so I kind of cheated, I guess. Then, my parents gave me around a half a cord that had been in their woodshed for about 3 years - they only burn when the power goes out.

Since my wife left at the start of August I have been scrounging, cutting, splitting and stacking for about two hours every work day and 9 to 10 hours on my days off. It's probably a better alternative for me than sitting at the local brewery all day - although they do make a fine beer!

This is by FAR my biggest score - I have been salivating over this wood since I started haunting craigslist. They just built a new house down the road for me and it was just sitting there...and sitting there...and sitting there...

The house sold a few days ago to a really nice couple. There are only 5 houses on my dead end street and I figured I would bring them over a bottle of wine and a card to welcome them to the road. I met the wife and their two little girls, had a nice chat and headed back to my house to work on some standing dead that was on my property. About an hour later, the husband comes over, we have a nice chat, and he says - I see that you cut your own wood, I have all these trees down on my property, do you want them?

And that's that - I grabbed what I could today, will try to finish up by Monday and will deal with the missus in two weeks.

I am a firewood junky. And I love it!

say 4 "Hail Stihl's" and be at peace with yourself.

Remind the mrs when she gets home that stack'en goes faster with 4 hands! So get her to invite a friend over to help her stack while you spend some extended time catch'en up with the going on's at that local brewery.

Follow this advice at your own risk.

Oh Yeah, "WELCOME TO THE SITE!!"

firewoodjunky said:
I am soooo happy to have found fellow firewood junkies! I just want to say thanks to everyone that posts on this forum for all of the great information and the laughs. I feel at peace knowing that there are others out there with my same problem!

Here's today's haul (I think that I am gonna need some Aleve tonight!). This is about half of what was given to me, I tried to get it all today but these old bones weren't up to it. I hope to have it done by Monday afternoon, I have about a third of a pile of some monster trunks that are already limbed and six to eight whole trees to buck. My wife is gonna kill me when she gets home - I don't know where she's going to park her car!

Nice, the question is what spot are you moving your truck to. :zip:

zap

Cool ya gotta love that!!!!

Billy

Thanks for the warm welcome. I said my four "Hail Stihls" but I think I wil pass on the rest of your advice. She's little but she's got that fiery Scottish temper. That may be all that saves me, she'll be all angry but once I say - "Honey it's free heat" she'll get all glasy eyed as she contemplates having an extra couple of nickels in her pocket :)

Jeff - looks that way, I'm one the very western edge of Worcester County.

Zap - you got that right. My trusty stead will have to find a new stable

Billy - Thanks! Pure right time, at the right place.

That's a nice looking score. It doesn't get much better than that.

that's a nice looking stack of wood you have there. I like the John Deere and its trailer. That looks like a pretty nice setup.

firewoodjunky said:
Jeff - looks that way, I'm one the very western edge of Worcester County.

That's the area we bought our lot and plan on building a house.

Nice haul. Wondering how did you move those things? Those are some pretty big logs; would need a Bobcat or something to lift those no? As for the wife, try what I have learned; work hard to get a couple years ahead and then it becomes less of a problem to keep up. Once those low gas bills start rolling in you shouldn't have anymore problems with needing to take over some parking spaces from the family!

Cascade Failure said:
I must be new. What's the problem?
Yes good point, posting you have a problem about cutting wood on a hearth forum is not going to get you much sympathy. :lol:

firewoodjunky, looks like you are starting out with a bang. Nice work and welcoming the new neighbors was really nice of you. You also got a super pay-back. Having enough wood until 2014 is a great move on your part too. That is the way it should be done.

It was most definitely a heck of a start. I started bucking, splitting and stacking - wow, I have a lot of work to do!

As far as moving them goes - I used the old fashioned way - I humped them up and onto the Deere. That little guy is a monster! Although there was one log that almost killed me because it was sooo heavy and I had to do some emergency backyard mechanic work on the trailer when that beast collapsed the right tire. Cost me about an hour and a half of moving time, which pretty much extinguished my hopes of getting it all on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.