I am going to make my own hearth pad, but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon

Oct 2, 2009
Southwest Missouri
Last time I build a permanent hearth for my Englander 30 -NC. We have moved to a new house and I brought the stove. This time I am just going to build a hearth pad. My problem is the 30-NC takes an R factor of 1.5. I don't want something over 2 inches thick and would prefer thinner.

Now in all practicality I ran my 30 all winter in the other house and the hearth never got hot. It was pleasantly warm but never got anywhere near what I would worry about. I had the leg set up. Now I did get quite a bit of heat out the front glass but that was not even on the hearth. The hot spot was in front a few feet on the carpet.

However, I want to stay within the manufacturer's requirements. I would like to get micore or a ceramic board, but I can't find any local suppliers. I live in the Springfield, MO area. Any suggestions on where to get the stuff reasonably or a hearth set up that would work. I don't really care of the raised hearths. Thanks for the help.

I say it a couple of times every year and nobody listens. Micore is the fire resistant sound proofing stuff they use in office cubicle walls. Find surplus cubicle walls and you find a ton of Micore.

Hello

I used Cement board and porcelain tile on top. Why not a raised hearth?

I built a raised hearth with an overhang. This way there is more tile in front AND more room for my feet under the overhang!

Status
Not open for further replies.