I am sooo bummed!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
skinnykid said:
The Dali Lima said:
What's a chimneysweep get for cleaning a chimney these days?

$140 cash.......

...i'd have told you how to do it for $139.50. Every little savings counts during these trying times :p

D/F said:
I sweep it once a month, am I nuts?

Unless your wood is not seasoned...yes, yer nuts.

Sorry to read about your chimney problem. Have your family pray that you get off your keister and CLEAN the chimney. remind them to NOT pray on Sunday ! It's Gods day off and everyone else is in Church bugging him...Monday around 6am is a great time to pray....He is fresh for the week and most prayers are still asleep....beat the rush.
Mike

Hi Skinnykid my son is also skinny and having a rough time of it with his first woodstove experience. I have been burning wood for 40 years. The best advice I can give you is PLEASE BE SAFE a young family is too precious. Everyone says to buy a brush and clean it yourself. I think you are going about it correctly by having a pro do it the first time and observe how it is done. Then go to Lowe's and purchase a brush and as many of the fiberglass rods as needed and clean the flue as needed. Yes crap will get into the stove pipe but it needs cleaned also.

so is the chimney clean ?????? and how did we do in your time of need? were we supportive enough?

Skinnykid,

If it makes you feel any better, I have been going through the same issue. Ran some junk wood through the stove, plugged the cap and ended up with about a gallon of creosote in just two months. Was plugged to the point that it would bellow smoke when you opened the door, so we were down for 2 days waiting on the sweep. Anyway, would have gladly paid $140. These guys got me for $170, but were back in business and the wife and kids now know where the dry wood is in relation to the wet wood. :)

I had my chimney swept in Oct. The guy that usually does it was busy. So I called a place in the yellow pages. My roof is high and steep and I'm not the greatest with heights. Anyway, this guy shows up that goes about 350 pounds. He looks at my roof and says he doesn't want to go up there which is fine with me because I don't know if it will hold him. My stovepipe goes into a tee with no cleanout in the bottom. This guy had 3/4" rods that were really flexible and somehow he got it started into that tee in the bottom. Long story short, if he can clean it from the bottom, so can I. My question is, if the cap isn't plugged, do you still; have to take it off and clean it occasionally?

been pulling a metal brush through my fathers chimney for 20 yrs, same brush. takes about 1-2 hrs to complete.

Crabbypatty said:
so is the chimney clean ?????? and how did we do in your time of need? were we supportive enough?
Chimney got cleaned today! Got her running right now. We are getting a wicked ice storm so I won't be suprised if we lose power.

I wanted to watch what he did but was bed stricken from yesterday till about 5:00pm today with the stomach flu. Holy cow was I sick.

he charged me $60 for the sweep. He said that my cap was plugged and to run hotter fires. I explained to him that i run it real slow at night do to the small fire box and trying to get the longest out of it.

He advised me to get a new/bigger stove in that case. ( I plan on it) He told me that he highly recommends Jotul stoves. He has recommended those stoves to a bunch of people and they all have been more than happy with them.

He said that he likes them so much that he wants to someday sell them so he knows his customers are getting a quality product. I told him I was looking at the Englanders at home depot. He told me buy what I can afford but never from chain stores as they are indeed different than ones sold at stove shops. You'll pay more at stove shops but it will be worth it in the long run.

But long story short, it is cold and icy out, but I got the stove running again. I can finally shut off the furnace!!!

And yes Crabby, thanks for the support!!!!

Oh ya, He wrote on the receipt that I should get a treatment if I cannot burn hotter fires. What "treatment?"

Skinny, 60 bucks for a sweep is a good deal... We are getting some serious sleet and freezing rain
up here (down here??) . I just went to the store to get some gas for the generator and the roads are
getting slick... The stove is blazin'... beer supply is at a good level...bring it on!!

Stay warm,
Rob

ya, getting the same down here, went to the store for smokes and milk but the roads are ok so far. The G/F had to go into Manchester to work until about 10:30pm. Hope the road are ok that late!

$60 for a sweep? Great deal. If you are in south east NH, would you mind sharing the contact for your sweep?

Sounds like a war zone around here! every thing is snapping and falling around me. Had a pine snap and bounce off the house and most my road is with out lights. I am affraid of what might happen over night!

BI Guy what town are you in? I used a guy outta Pelham. He charged me $60 for the out side work. He didn't come inside to do the interior because noone was sposed to be home but I was in bed sick.

He was also referred by a mutual friend, not sure if that had something to do with the cost.

[quote author="skinnykid" date="1229072495"]Sounds like a war zone around here! every thing is snapping and falling around me. Had a pine snap and bounce off the house and most my road is with out lights. I am affraid of what might happen over night!

Count your blessings!! There are spoils to be had in a "War Zone" like free firewood.

All you have to do is get there first, with chainsaw running, axe at the ready, and be fearless. Yes, Fearless is the Key!! :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.