I broke my 52i! Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The leads coming out of the ignitor cannot touch the ignitor housing. This is what is blowing your fuse. Pull power cord, VERY carefully with a pair of needle nose pliers bend the lead away from the case and try again. This should take care of your problem.

i don't want to pull the insert to disconnect the igniter as I'm hopping around on one foot due to being on crutches and I don't have a rail kit yet. Insulation will slip back down ok. Power is off. This would be AC right? You would need a return path, so makes sense to me that the wires would not touch body. Geesh, this is pretty low tech, can't believe they have not figured out a way to control these leads better.
Yep. Screw-ups are always someone else's fault. If they ran the leads in a high temp conduit people would b**** that the thing was inaccessible when they went to clean it. Have you any idea what a problem a high-temp connector would cost and how hard it would be to make it easily removeable in the space provided? If you want to go low tech like Sidecar and you can cut the igniter out and light it manually --- or you can understand how the stove works how to service it and stay within those parameters. Everything has limitations
Your stove, your choice. Oh, and when you reinstall the igniter be sure you don't move the insulation again. Hopefully nothing else was fried.

The leads coming out of the ignitor cannot touch the ignitor housing. This is what is blowing your fuse. Pull power cord, VERY carefully with a pair of needle nose pliers bend the lead away from the case and try again. This should take care of your problem.
Or lift it with a very sharp blade. It'll be OK if nothing else fried. And once again, pay attention to the insulation when you reinstall.

Yep. Screw-ups are always someone else's fault. If they ran the leads in a high temp conduit people would b**** that the thing was inaccessible when they went to clean it. Have you any idea what a problem a high-temp connector would cost and how hard it would be to make it easily removeable in the space provided? If you want to go low tech like Sidecar and you can cut the igniter out and light it manually --- or you can understand how the stove works how to service it and stay within those parameters. Everything has limitations
Your stove, your choice. Oh, and when you reinstall the igniter be sure you don't move the insulation again. Hopefully nothing else was fried.
Ok, back in business, that was the problem. Thanks for the help guys.
Didn't mean to hit a nerve there F4, I'v got 30 years experience with manufacturing and have seen several ways they could improve the design, such as epoxy the cavity

Reactions: bags
Didn't mean to hit a nerve there F4, I'v got 30 years experience with manufacturing and have seen several ways they could improve the design, such as epoxy the cavity

Agreed. I removed my igniter as part of extended maintenance on my stove and there was no way to easily or accidentally pull away the insulation as seen in your picture.

Glad you're back in business there - sounded frustrating. :)

It almost looks as if the lower wire got pinched against the case and arched. I see a small hole.

Didn't mean too hit a nerve there F4, I'v got 30 years experience with manufacturing and have seen several ways they could improve the design, such as epoxy the cavity
Good to hear and hey, no offense from this side either. If you have a good idea copyright it and send it to 'em. Maybe you'll be rich! I have 30 plus in world-wide field troubleshooting and I just get a bit perturbed when people with the best of intentions F something up and then blame the dog. Look at it this way, it was a learning experience. And remember the temps involved before you think epoxy. Now.....go and order you a backup igniter and some hi-temp ceramic wire nuts in case the thing doesn't last. You'll need one down the road some time tho mine lasted six years. The wire nuts will allow you to replace it w/o pulling the stove. Worked great for me.

Agreed. I removed my igniter as part of extended maintenance on my stove and there was no way to easily or accidentally pull away the insulation as seen in your picture.

Glad you're back in business there - sounded frustrating. :)
If you read the OP he dropped and played with the thing lots in trying to remove / reinstall. That coulda done it!

Reactions: bags
If you read the OP he dropped and played with the thing lots in trying to remove / reinstall. That coulda done it!

Obviously something associated with removing the igniter did. But as much as it annoys the heck out of me, I resist temptation to blame my customers when they break one of my products - there's always more information I can add to the datasheet to make theirs and my life easier - and my customers are engineers. Perhaps there is a caution in the manual about removing the igniter, I don't know. I know I treated mine like a piece of glass as many cartridge heaters have ceramic or glass in them that can break. I don't expect the average customer is like me however.

Obviously something associated with removing the igniter did. But as much as it annoys the heck out of me, I resist temptation to blame my customers when they break one of my products - there's always more information I can add to the datasheet to make theirs and my life easier - and my customers are engineers. Perhaps there is a caution in the manual about removing the igniter, I don't know. I know I treated mine like a piece of glass as many cartridge heaters have ceramic or glass in them that can break. I don't expect the average customer is like me however.
I have a different perspective. Unless you're in a life-or-death or no resource but you situation do NOT do anything you're unfamiliar with unless you are willing to accept the consequences of a screw-up OR you research it first. Or both. And sure, experience makes for a better instruction manual but one doesn't blame one per se, by saying "You did it," one makes them realize they are responsible for their actions and then moves on. Sometimes it even helps them think about next time.

I have a different perspective. Unless you're in a life-or-death or no resource but you situation do NOT do anything you're unfamiliar with unless you are willing to accept the consequences of a screw-up OR you research it first. Or both. And sure, experience makes for a better instruction manual but one doesn't blame one per se, by saying "You did it," one makes them realize they are responsible for their actions and then moves on. Sometimes it even helps them think about next time.

I don't disagree - one takes a risk when one works on their own stuff - especially stuff one is unfamiliar with.

It's still an iffy setup with those easily exposed/shorted wires. I've seen better designs on ovens where the heaters are technician accessible only. Also, I feel like many will give the more expensive stove maker the benefit of the doubt versus a low-end brand. JMHO.

I don't disagree - one takes a risk when one works on their own stuff - especially stuff one is unfamiliar with.

It's still an iffy setup with those easily exposed/shorted wires. I've seen better designs on ovens where the heaters are technician accessible only. Also, I feel like many will give the more expensive stove maker the benefit of the doubt versus a low-end brand. JMHO.
And a good one!

This thread is PROOF POSITIVE for unplugging electrical devices before messing with them. It's more for the individual's safety and anti-shock therapy than anything. Igniters with built in welders that jump down and dance around with arcing disco balls on their own can be replaced. UNPLUG It will save you a bunch of time, money, and headaches.

Randy, Consider yourself lucky. I have read and seen several examples where people have fried more stuff that cost a chunk of change to buy replacements like control boards and stuff. Don't feel bad because you are not the first and you will not be the last. It's good to get beat up a little in the beginning. You just went thru electrical igniter boot camp. LOL! You'll be all right. Get off of those crutches before ya go yanking inserts out.

Now who wants to go tinkering? Randy? ;):):):):) Just teasing you. Gotta be able to learn and laugh at mistakes. I crack myself up almost daily. :eek::mad:;lol;lol That igniter box is different than the new P68's. I enjoyed the pics! I learned some stuff here and I'm sure Randy did too. It's all good! Enjoy that heat it's getting cold!

Reactions: F4jock
Tough Room! Good advice there Bags.
In my defense, I had (have) high expectations of my Harmen, and it is my opinion that Harmen meant for the end user to drop the igniter every once in a while for cleaning and inspection. If true, they should have an igniter design that supports that action.

Guilty on not cutting power.....

I think these can be taken out if needed to gently clean or brush off so they can take some handling. If you would have shut down power it likely would not have happened. Spend some time here and read various topics and stuff. Not just the daily threads. There are patterns here and repetitive things that you can take note of. Many here have made the mistakes for us already. Why reinvent the wheel at our expense?

F4 was the one with good advice. He got you up and running again along with others. Not going back thru to see who said what at this point but they are the ones that helped you the most. But, Thank You!

I get your defense but bottom line and I have been slammed here as well about it is the fact that assuming things.............. Well, ya know what they say about that. I've eaten those words a time or two here. All in good fun. This forum is different and there are people who give a damn and want to help others so they can get frustrated. They are a little more protective in general than making it a sport for demented entertainment. No worries, Plenty of that still. So hang around and read up and enjoy the heat and twisted pokes.

And tough the room should be.

There is nothing inherently safe inside the shell of any heating device.

"SmokeyTheBear" And tough the room should be.

There is nothing inherently safe inside the shell of any heating device.
I COULD add "Especially when one does not unplug it prior to servicing.". . . . . but I won't.;) (Sorry for my sense of humor. Even my beautiful wife thwaps me at times!)

Don't worry Randy, in a month you'll be giving newbies good advice and wondering how they ever survived their first encounter with a stove. :) We just don't want to see people or machinery hurt!

I think these can be taken out if needed to gently clean or brush off so they can take some handling. If you would have shut down power it likely would not have happened. Spend some time here and read various topics and stuff. Not just the daily threads. There are patterns here and repetitive things that you can take note of. Many here have made the mistakes for us already. Why reinvent the wheel at our expense?

F4 was the one with good advice. He got you up and running again along with others. Not going back thru to see who said what at this point but they are the ones that helped you the most. But, Thank You!

I get your defense but bottom line and I have been slammed here as well about it is the fact that assuming things.............. Well, ya know what they say about that. I've eaten those words a time or two here. All in good fun. This forum is different and there are people who give a damn and want to help others so they can get frustrated. They are a little more protective in general than making it a sport for demented entertainment. No worries, Plenty of that still. So hang around and read up and enjoy the heat and twisted pokes.
I COULD add "Especially when one does not unplug it prior to servicing.". . . . . but I won't.;) (Sorry for my sense of humor. Even my beautiful wife thwaps me at times!)

Don't worry Randy, in a month you'll be giving newbies good advice and wondering how they ever survived their first encounter with a stove. :) We just don't want to see people or machinery hurt!
No worries, appriciate the help....
Technically speaking......the problem was not disconnecting the power prior to service, the problem was creating a short circuit during the movement of the igniter. The igniter had no power during the entire time except when I started it back up. Just saying.... :), But lesson learned, ALWAYS pull the plug!!
Thanks again all

Technically speaking......the problem was not disconnecting the power prior to service, the problem was creating a short circuit during the movement of the igniter. The igniter had no power during the entire time except when I started it back up. Just saying.... :), But lesson learned, ALWAYS pull the plug!!
Thanks again all

Randy,

Have you ever tried a manual light of that stove?

Bear now runs for his bunker ...........

Thanks again all
Agreed! Don't hesitate to come here for advice prior to anything you're gonna do or just to hang out and learn, help out or BS. Oh and welcome aboard.

Agreed! Don't hesitate to come here for advice prior to anything you're gonna do or just to hang out and learn, help out or BS. Oh and welcome aboard.
Hey F4, anyone ever post a thread about harman related product improvements we would like to see? I bet the factory boys troll occassionally here.
I would like to see a panel mounted fuse for the ignitor and move the controller board fuse to a panel mount as well.

Hey F4, anyone ever post a thread about harman related product improvements we would like to see? I bet the factory boys troll occassionally here.
I would like to see a panel mounted fuse for the ignitor and move the controller board fuse to a panel mount as well.
Don't remember but that's a great idea. Why don't you kick one off? Include your idea about potting the igniter end as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.