I could use some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

David65326

Feb 15, 2020
Edwards Missouri
I hope someone can answer me before I spend more money than I have to. My wife and I decided last year to build a 12 x 28 deck on the back of our home which would over look 20 acres of woods and pasture. As we got into it we decided to make it a 4 seasons room Concrete foundations 60x60 sliding windows all across the front 3/4 marine plywood sub-floor, I mean this room is build better than our house. We are now ready to install our wood burning stove. We have it on a hearth platform with black chimney pipe up to the ceiling. (which is not yet installed) Our roof is 2x6x12 rafters spaced every 16 inches covered with 3/4 inch OSB and Roofing paper and a metal roof. Our roof has a gradual grade. I have attached a photo of the spot where the chimney pipe will go through. We have a 6 inch pipe diameter. We have purchased 2, 36 inch double wall silver pipes to go through the ceiling and the silicone roof flashing to use on top of our metal roof along with the spark cage rain cap.

I apologize for so much detail but I want to be sure I get the right answer to my question. The space between our 5/8 ceiling panels and the outside will be 13 inches. The silver walled pipe will be within the ceiling area with 2 x12 braces on each side for support and no insulation in the box itself. The black pipe will attach to the silver pipe. Do I still need the big hideous box installed within my ceiling? It will protrude several inches below the ceiling.

Please advise! Every time I go to Lowe's or Home Depot or Menard's I end up coming home with a couple hundred dollars of stuff that I later regret buying and end up returning. Their experts are not.

Regards
David

20201207_140447.jpg 20201207_140523.jpg 20201207_140544.jpg 20201207_140429.jpg

Look at the installation instruction for the ceiling support box that will contain your Class A.
Many manufacturers have a minimum extension below the ceiling surface.
IIRC, ICC Excel specifies a minimum of 3 inches of extension below a flat ceiling surface.
If you have a pitched ceiling, the box will extend farther out of the ceiling at the higher point.