I don't know anything...but at least I know that.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
Guys,
First off I've been reading a lot of posts here and the info you guys have is pretty darn amazing. I have a question on the wood I've been scrounging.

I just put in a wood stove in our little house and hope to use it to generate 90% of the heat we need. We live up in NW Iowa, where corn is king and trees are not as plentiful. Budget is a big deal to me, and I've made huge improvements in insulating the house to reduce energy bills.

I came across some old railroad property along a farm field that the trees were all cut down last year. The abandoned railroad bed sits up high and they range from 8" to 24" in diameter. I cut them to 16" lengths and so far have brought back about 2/3 cord to my house. I've been splitting them and stacking as I go. I was hoping that because they were sitting out for a year and not on the ground (I've been selective in what logs to harvest) that they would be fairly dry. But I've noticed that the stove is definitely not burning them as easily as stuff I collected and stacked last year. After reading some here, I brought a bunch in and put them near the stove to help dry, but kind of doubt my new wife would appreciate me bringing the rest in our bedroom. LOL.

I am going to take a sample to the local Forester at the DNR and see if he can get a species on them My Wisconsin buddy who burns alot of wood thought they might be Cottonwood from a picture I sent him. I am going to try to get my hands on a moisture tester from Home Depot next.

Question is , outside of finding other wood, can I burn these effectively this year to get me by?

Is there anything else I could be doing to help them burn? I know the stove is working well, based on dryer wood burning well.

Is there any danger in using this wood? Creosote build up?

Also, not sure if anyone cares but I use an Olympia chain saw inherited from my dad. Runs great after all these years.

Thanks for all the help.

Welcome to the party.

Even if the wood is cottonwood, and there's no more time for drying it outdoors this season, you can:
1. Make some pieces smaller (cut/split) so they light more quickly
2. Mix it in with better wood
3. Stack it more openly in the stove (crossed layers.)

I'd start looking for better species for the future, and stuff like skids & construction waste for right now.
Might be better burning cottonwood than letting it rot. Don't ask me. Just don't expect very much from it.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Where at in NW Iowa? I am in Peterson. Oh yea welcome aboard.

schlot said:
I came across some old railroad property along a farm field that the trees were all cut down last year. The abandoned railroad bed sits up high and they range from 8" to 24" in diameter. I cut them to 16" lengths and so far have brought back about 2/3 cord to my house. I've been splitting them and stacking as I go. I was hoping that because they were sitting out for a year and not on the ground (I've been selective in what logs to harvest) that they would be fairly dry.

If I understand what you're saying you brought the wood back bucked into rounds and then stacked the rounds, let them sit for a year, and are just splitting them now? If so, that's your problem-in round form the bark holds the moisture in and not much is lost through the cut ends. The only way for wood to really dry out is to expose the as much surface area as possible, ie: by splitting it. Half is good, quarters are better. Anything to get that surface area up-the splits that season fastest are the ones from the insides of a large round (no bark at all). As for creosote buildup I would just watch the chimney and clean once a month. I had to get through a winter with semi-green wood once. The worst that happened to me was a cold house and a wife that constantly asked "I thought we were supposed to be WARMER now that you put the wood furnace in?" :lol: You could split it all this year, suck it up and turn up the thermostat, with the consolation that next year you'll have a nice supply of seasoned wood. I have been burning wood for four years now and am only beginning to get two years ahead on my wood supply. There's a lot to learn here and a lot of good folks who are eager to give advice-welcome!

I have no experience with cottonwood. How has the climate been? If those logs have been laying there for years and it's a DRY climate - they might not be too bad. I've heard guys here say cottonwood is not a great species - but if it's all you have?

I know that my stove performs better when it's really cold out. When it's a mild fall - shoulder season - it doesn't work as well. Perhaps others can put this into better words.... maybe it will burn better when winter gets here. IN the meantime - get on finding some good wood!

Welcome Schlot!

Keep reading on this forum... you'll learn a lot.

My best input to you is that many woods don't season anywhere near as well in the round as they do split. You might want to segregate your new (unsplit) from your older (dry) stuff.

Can you burn them effectively? Not as effective as if it were properly dried, but I've burned stuff that wasn't perfectly dry... just be aware of the consequences. Maybe buy a chimney brush or SootEater and use it.

Holy cow you guys are fast!

Peterson....not too far actually, I'm just north of Sioux City. You've probably got some timber in your back yard living there.

I've been splitting them into quarters after I get back from the field. After I saw how slow they were burning I even halved the 6" and 8" ones, which I thought I could just burn whole.

I was thinking a brush would be good idea. I've got some hickory (wow that splits tough!) but not much. Maybe I will try to get some construction scraps (without plywood or treated of course) and try to mix it in.

Looks like I will try to keep scrounging off this site since there is so much wood there, and try to get them dry for next year also.

Forgot to answer one...no I'm bringing them back now in rounds and splitting and stacking them.

schlot said:
I was thinking a brush would be good idea. I've got some hickory (wow that splits tough!) but not much. Maybe I will try to get some construction scraps (without plywood or treated of course) and try to mix it in.

Cruise your local feed stores, farm co-ops, etc...anyplace that gets large deliveries via tractor trailer. Pallet wood is even better than construction scraps because most pallets are made from hardwood. Its usually super dry to the point that it burns a little too fast, but it will give you more heat for a longer period than doug fir 2x4 scraps.

I am guessing that you probably already know the answer, in your heart. ;-) To state it simply. These will not be properly dry for this year. Can you get them to burn - probably. Yes it will create more creosote. Stay on top of things with your stack maintenance. Inspect frequently and clean as needed.

If it is cottonwood - that stuff will be pretty light when it is properly seasoned. It is a low BTU wood, but what the heck, if it is easy pickin's, get what you can get. And GET AHEAD.

I will take a little longer look at the area to see if there are other species too when I go out.

Unfortunately the pallets are never around here for long. We have a pallet recycling business that pays for them,(light goes off in head) but maybe I will check them out and see what they have for scraps.

We constantly tell people that it needs to be seasoned. PERIOD. What many of us believe, though we don't advertise it, is that if you are in a tough spot and it's not seasoned, then just be aware that your stove might not burn well and you'll be building up creosote.

All that means is that some of your hard work will be going to waste (because of inefficiency) and also that you'll need to monitor and clean your chimney more often.

Finding some good dry scrap wood from construction or pallets could really improve the situation. Know getting your wood ASAP for the entire winter is important, too. Getting it split and stacked NOW may mean you have much better wood in late January when you need it to be at its best. Will it be perfect for burning by then? Probably not, but don't underestimate the power of some harsh dry wind for a month.

Best of luck.

Agreeing with Danno, Jags and others . . . it may burn . . . but not as well as if it was fully seasoned . . . as others have said pallets can help you out in the first year . . . but now is the time to get next year's wood . . . and of course this year watch your chimney.

Great info guys. Very much appreciated!

Post pictures and we can tell you what type of trees you're looking at. The bark, twigs, cut end of a piece, and of course leaves are all helpful for ID.

schlot said:
I will take a little longer look at the area to see if there are other species too when I go out.

Unfortunately the pallets are never around here for long. We have a pallet recycling business that pays for them,(light goes off in head) but maybe I will check them out and see what they have for scraps.
I would think in your area there would be all sorts of places to cut wood just a matter of doing the leg work, wont be long before you will have more than you can cut.

There are trees but of course 90% are in groves around the farms. I guess I need start talking to farmers about getting in there. But before that I better learn what trees I need to to take and how to ID them.

I called the forester he's out - probably for the week. I will snap a couple pics and try to post them later.

I would be more concerned with getting some wood and less concerned what type of wood you get. Pretty much any wood is acceptable as firewood, and probably most farmers will be able to tell you what types of trees they have.

You won't have much fun burning wet cottonwood. It has a very high moisture content when first cut. But there's good news/bad news in store for you.

Good news is, cottonwood dries unbelievably fast.

Bad news is, it don't last long in the stove once it's dry.

Give it 3-4 weeks inside and it will be about half its green weight. It will get your stove plenty hot, but you'll feel like Casey Jones' fireman keeping it there.

Welcome
You got lots of good advice. Now you know to start getting ahead for next year & next year ........
When you burn some really good dry wood, you'll know.
Get the wood you can get, it's all BTUs. You'll get by this year best you can, just inspect & clean the chimney often.
Sound like you are very close to the "addiction", when it hits, you'll have an unknown drive to have your wood for next year all CSS soon.
Learning is one of the fun parts :)
Happy burning. !

Hope hosting a picture like this ok...this is an end shot.

schlot said:

Hope hosting a picture like this ok...this is an end shot.
Looks like cottonwood to me!!!

Bark shot

I cut some branches also - didn't pay attention as to whether they were the same tree as the other picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.