I fear bugs!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

Jan 23, 2008
Western Pa.
Actually I am only worried about bringing in bugs with my firewood.

Is the a legitimate concern?

This is my first year burning wood on a regular basis and I would like to store a half a face cord or so inside.

I thought about building a wood box and lining it with screen.

less bark = less bugs
less moisture = less bugs

I built a wood storage box and thought of lining the top few inches with sheetmetal to reduce any kind of footholds a climbing bug could achieve. I thought I had seens pics here a couple years ago. I never did the metal lining part. I find I don't bring in many bugs for whatever reason. You'll be in much better shape after some below freezing nights.

Generally if you've had your wood stacked long enough to dry they you should have very little problems with bugs. However, you will still get some and also some millers if you bring wood indoors in the winter. We do bring in enough wood to restock the stove after an overnight burn but that is the maximum we bring in.

What we do is stack wood right at the end of the porch during winter so all we have to do is walk out on the porch and grab what is needed. It works good and also gives us a wind block.

Backwoods Savage said:
Generally if you've had your wood stacked long enough to dry they you should have very little problems with bugs. However, you will still get some and also some millers if you bring wood indoors in the winter. We do bring in enough wood to restock the stove after an overnight burn but that is the maximum we bring in.

What we do is stack wood right at the end of the porch during winter so all we have to do is walk out on the porch and grab what is needed. It works good and also gives us a wind block.

It's kind of scary, but sometimes Savage and I tend to think alike . . . this is pretty much what we do. The day's worth of wood is brought in and put in the woodbox, but the week's worth of wood is on the covered back porch in the winter.

I figure most of the bugs are DOA when I bring 'em inside as I've already evicted them from their homes when I cut up and split the wood . . . and then the cold weather settles in killing off a few more . . . sure a few bugs may still be alive, but I really haven't seen many "wake up" . . . maybe my double pawed Manx is taking care of them for me. ;) :)

Backwoods Savage said:
We do bring in enough wood to restock the stove after an overnight burn but that is the maximum we bring in.

Words of wisdom. I have NO more than a days worth inside at any time. Its not enough time to allow the little bastages to wake up and cause a problem.

Backwoods Savage said:
. . maybe my double pawed Manx is taking care of them for me. ;) :)
Lucky, my cat just sits and looks at the bugs...

firefighterjake said:
It's kind of scary, but sometimes Savage and I tend to think alike . . . this is pretty much what we do. The day's worth of wood is brought in and put in the woodbox, but the week's worth of wood is on the covered back porch in the winter.

I figure most of the bugs are DOA when I bring 'em inside as I've already evicted them from their homes when I cut up and split the wood . . . and then the cold weather settles in killing off a few more . . . sure a few bugs may still be alive, but I really haven't seen many "wake up" . . . maybe my double pawed Manx is taking care of them for me. ;) :)

But I don't make it a habit to go around fighting fires Jake!

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Same here. Also, many of the bugs (carpenter ants and such) are already gone before I get it to the woodpile. Between cutting and splitting out in the woods, then hauling it up to the yard, most of the bugs have decided to move on. What's left are long gone by the time I burn the wood, years later.

Sleepy said:
Actually I am only worried about bringing in bugs with my firewood.

Is the a legitimate concern?

This is my first year burning wood on a regular basis and I would like to store a half a face cord or so inside.

I thought about building a wood box and lining it with screen.

I happens. I got some weird little bugs in my house now from firewood.

At 6 PM I'll bring in enough for tonight and maybe tomorrow morning, if I'm not going out at 10PM or between 6 and 10.
99.9% of any bugs have no interest in my 2 or 3 year old wood splits and the few that do try to Winter -over in the pile and come in are immediately eaten by my well starved attack spiders.

TERMITES, YIKES!
I have been thinking about this same topic since I split a good bunch of wood this summer.
Some of the rounds had termite infestation, what if you are not in the full depths of winter (which would take care of the pests) is it still safe to bring in one day's worth of wood?
I am using up some beech that was cut in 2008 but by the time I went to split it some of the rounds had sat on the ground for almost a year.
For weekly storage, how close to your homes do you guys suggest one stack the firewood?

I probably wont be firing up the old girl till november (and I refuse to turn on the furnace till then too) :)
After that its fair game!

We had a bad mold problem this year. Of course we were wet like everyone else but I'm also now concerned about the mold spores I'm bringing in with my wood. I have a covered face-cord rack by the back door and I'll only bring in a load at a time with a load of morning wood just before going to bed. Anyone have any mold suggestions? ("Season your wood better", yeah, I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.