I Finally Saw The Mighty PE Summit Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you know I would surface sooner or later.
So much to do, so little time to do it.
Still have to clean the liner and check my home made baffle gasket.
Maybe next weekend. Been saying that since the end of last season.

there is a method to the madness on the anlgled lip, BB... it makes it easier to slide the ashes off the lip, rather than having an upward curl, that when swept, always leave a groove of ash on the curled up lips of other stoves... besides, its a woodstove, you have to have the prerequisite bits of ash on the thing!
On another note, I think I am gonna start a new club, like the pellet pigs, only for Summit owners... I'm open to suggestions for a name.... we could just call it the "awesome" club, since if you own one you must be pretty awesome!! :coolsmile:

generally speaking?

I wonder how the actual output of the 30 is compared to the mighty summit. Too bad somebody here didn't have BOTH stoves....... :coolsmirk:

I suspect that somebody will be lighting up his duo sometime this fall. Gotta get it warm enough to run around naked in the cave. :)

BrotherBart said:
Walked into the local stove shop today and they had re-arraigned the whole place. Walked to the back and there was a strange new insert sitting in the display area. I'll be damned. A PE Summit insert. After what seems like decades hearing about them on this site, and trying to find one three years ago to replace my old insert, there it was. The Nirvana of inserts right in front of me. The king of wood heaters. When I was looking nobody in the mid-Atlantic had ever heard of this marvelous God's answer to wood heat.

Well, I took a look and can't see what all the shouting is about. Glad I saved a grand plus. Thick steel, no question, but that firebox configuration makes me claustrophobic compared to the 30-NC. And an ashlip angled down, what is that about? Ashlips are supposed to catch stuff. Yep, big solid stainless baffle up top. Too close up top, no wonder you guys with Summits love not being able to hurt it smacking it with splits. You have to to load the stove. And I hope those door hinges are replaceable because I have never seen more wimpy wood stove door hinges in my life. And that door glass is just downright small.

I would still like to see a Summit Classic but for now I don't know what all the shouting has been about. :mad: If the 30 doesn't melt down this year I think I will just stick with it.

Wimpy hinges or no, the PEs have a lifetime warranty.

Jags said:
I wonder how the actual output of the 30 is compared to the mighty summit. Too bad somebody here didn't have BOTH stoves....... :coolsmirk:

wait a minute.... someone does ..... check out the sigs and go upo a couple someone does have both .... just doesn't have both installed yet!! (going on a couple of years) lmao

iceman said:
Jags said:

wait a minute.... someone does ..... check out the sigs and go upo a couple someone does have both .... just doesn't have both installed yet!! (going on a couple of years) lmao

He is afraid to learn the truth. :lol:

Wimpy hinges or no, the PEs have a lifetime warranty.[/quote]

If I could quote from my favorite movie....."Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time":)

A warranty is only as good as the company and I hope PE doesn't go the route of VC.

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
Jags said:

He is afraid to learn the truth. :lol:

I'm diligently working on the addition. The cultured stone is going slow. I spend about 14 hours or so in 3 days and installed about 6' or so foot high by about 6' wide area. The tight stacked ledgestone looks great, but its a PITA to find just the right next pc to install.
My back has been giving me alot of problems, but still resisting getting cut into to. I have 4x more to install. I'm trying to shoot for this winter, but my body is starting to fall apart faster these days, and Its taking me more time to recuperate and more pain killers to make it bearable. I need to last LOL, still have alot outside to do, once the inside is done.
Not to mention a new roof before I can't walk and get up there. Arghhhh

We have the "baby" insert from PE, the Vista. Our fireplace box is an old metal Heatilator which allowed us only a certain amount of room for an insert. The Vista was it. We would have loved to have gotten the medium insert, but alas, it was not meant to be. Granted, the Vista doesn't quite make a burn through the night unless you get up and load it during the wee hours, but unless you have infants in your household, those midnight feeding days are long gone :p We looked at a lot of inserts and are very satisfied with the PE. Maybe it's not the chicest stove on the block, but she sure can put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.