I found this splitter on youtube and wonder if anyonehas used it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has one and i have seen it in action, works great, he has the heavy duty model and nothing stops it and fast and no hyds

It would be great to have a splitter as fast as that. I don't like how it keeps splitting even when your hand's not on the lever though, that's dangerous.

I used one of these years ago, You have got to keep on your toes using one of these, but the speed is very good and most of the time nothing stopped it. it was usualy faster than the hydralic splitter that was being used at the same time.

Great splitter if you sell wood...for the average homeowner I dunno. As for me I'm comfortable working slower and most of the time I'm siting down while splitting...and I like it that way cause it's almost like taking a break.

To get your moneys worth out of a SS it would require 2 men and an elevator for the splits.

Woodford said:
It would be great to have a splitter as fast as that. I don't like how it keeps splitting even when your hand's not on the lever though, that's dangerous.
Once the cycle is launched, there is almost no stopping it. It uses the inertia of a large heavy flywheel. I think it's dangerous and would require a lot of skill and attention. The video shows him splitting easy stuff and I'd like to see what it does when it gets into some stringy Elm or some real twisted stuff.

I'll stick with my hydraulic that can even split a log across the grain.

The rounds i do you would never be able to lift that high! That thing is fast!

Definitely a nice, fast splitter. However, I could see how one small mistake could cost a man a finger or hand, even. Wouldn't take long to fill a wood shed, though!

They are a great splitter and there made a couple towns away. I know some people that own them and they work great. They last a very long time. The motor usually wears out before anything goes on the splitter.

I've used one, they are fast, powerful, and require considerably more maintenance and fiddling with than a hydraulic... You also have to pick up every round and put it on the table, which is far more work than a hydraulic in vertical mode.

While I found it would eventually go through everything I threw at it, if you needed to make multiple hits your production went way down because you had to keep waiting for the flywheels to spool back up. Thus no real advantage over a hydraulic on tough stringy stuff, but it flies through the easy wood.

Overall if you need to crank out serious production, and have the right setup to feed it, it's the next best thing to a processor, but if I only had one splitter, I'd rather have a hydraulic.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.