I froze for the last 2 winters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPapiPE

Hearth Supporter
I have lived in many different places and for the last 2 winters I had to keep my thermostat at 58 degrees and 60 respectively.Budget contrains.... This winter I shall have heat to spare. A new woodstove with plenty of wood to burn. I expect to be clad in tee shirt and shorts as my sitting room is also the stove room. No matter how cold it gets, I shall be warm in my little house and oblivious to the outside climes. No power ...No matter. This is as good as it gets.

My mother did the same thing and coincidently bought an Englander. I'm pretty sure its the same model too. We had to buy K1 heating oil because the regular oil will freeze. It gets cold in the northern mountains of Maine. I've done what I can to make the house airtight but the stove will make a big difference.

We made the decision last december to burn wood. Our first gas bill help us decide.
We looked into new windows, new insulation or wood stove and the wood stove is cheapest
With any luck that will be the primary heat source.
I have a little over 3 cord of wood I visit it daily talk to it and read stories to it about warm
cozy fires in the winter.

no man said:
...I visit it daily talk to it and read stories to it about warm
cozy fires in the winter.

no man...you absolutely must get a copy of "Frederick" by Leo Leonni and read it to your wood. Not kidding here. Rick

cmonSTART said:
There's nothing better than the house being 85F inside, and outside is 0F.

I am kinda fond of 75 outside and inside myself.

I too have made the decision to get a wood stove. I chopped my first cord over the past 2 weeks. I have now found a person who falls trees.So now I have an unlimited supply.I will chop another cord for next season. I am not sure how much I will burn this winter, but I will purchase 2 cords. I don't really have room for more than that.

Southwest mountains of Maine, sounds COLD, not as cold as Northwest mountains, but cold. Make NJ seem like the Bahamas. What do the Canadians North of you think, you are down South to them.

Enjoy the heat.... me too. Hard to say on a hot NJ evening, but this thread makes me feel cold.

JPapiPE said:
I have lived in many different places and for the last 2 winters I had to keep my thermostat at 58 degrees and 60 respectively.Budget contrains.... This winter I shall have heat to spare. A new woodstove with plenty of wood to burn. I expect to be clad in tee shirt and shorts as my sitting room is also the stove room. No matter how cold it gets, I shall be warm in my little house and oblivious to the outside climes. No power ...No matter. This is as good as it gets.

Those single eye avatars are getting creepier and creepier, maybe even scary ;-)

Although, I'm much farther south than all of you, I froze last winter too. That was mostly due to the removal of my gas log fireplace without thinking of the consequences. (I had good reasons to take it out though) I guess 58 is 58 no matter where you live.

I'm good to go this year though.

I had to keep my thermostat at 58 degrees and 60 respectively.

75* from a wood stove feels warmer than 75* from a gas furnace.
Maybe it's just my imagination

JPapiPE said:

no freezin zone in the JpapiPE living space this year, that little 13 is gonna suprise you, seriously though , have you got the handle on the clearance thing yet? once you have the plan laid out , shoot me a PM and we'll go over it if ya want.

Joe, where did the pipes split? Inside the house or on an exterior wall or crawlspace? If in the crawlspace, the problem might be a bit worse this year if the central heating system was warming up under there a little bit. Mobiles are often pretty poorly designed with regard to this issue. Piping is run for convenience and not for protection. So if that area was vulnerable last year, it may be the same this year. Best to figure out why they split and put an extra effort to protect them this year.

PS: DeNiro was awesome in the DeerHunter. Great movie.

Make sure you dont use those heat tapes to keep your pipes warm we had 2 houses in our town burn down last year because of those damn things they are about as safe as building a fire under you house. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
cmonSTART said:
There's nothing better than the house being 85F inside, and outside is 0F.

I am kinda fond of 75 outside and inside myself.

The older I get...i'm with ya...though I really like my hot muggy summers i'm becoming less fond of the cold winters. Don't get me wrong, I don't "mind the snow", I don't "mind 25F-35F" but colder than that it just plain sucks anymore. That last warm day of fall is a bummer for me. I have been over the excitement that I can heat my house as warm as I want for next to nothing.

Strange how 70F inside during the summer feels comfortable thanks to the AC, but 70F in the winter feels cool.

I prefer it up around 78F during the winter inside thanks to the stove.

Now that JPapiPE will shortly become an official wood burner who's gonna show him the secret hand shake and give him the password?

Joe, you are rockin' and rollin' now. I just LOVE the feeling of wood heat on a cold winter day. I just wish we didn't have as many cold winter days :lol:

As Mike and BG stated, get the install perfect, get the pipes where you don't have to worry about them and when the cold weather hits, you can sit back with an adult beverage with a couple of ice cubes clinking around, feet up, and flip the bird to Old Man Cold outside and the fuel truck as it passes by the house.

Congrats.

I know....weird hu? I guess my wife and I just got used to the extra heat provided by the stove. We'd go over to my brother and sister inlaw's place and would feel like we were freezing at 68F with their oil heat.

flyfishn said:
I too have made the decision to get a wood stove. I chopped my first cord over the past 2 weeks. I have now found a person who falls trees.So now I have an unlimited supply.I will chop another cord for next season. I am not sure how much I will burn this winter, but I will purchase 2 cords. I don't really have room for more than that.

I'd guess you should consider finding more room for your wood. A cord or two cords won't last you very long if that is your only heating source. You will no doubt burn much more than that.

Tfin said:
I know....weird hu? I guess my wife and I just got used to the extra heat provided by the stove. We'd go over to my brother and sister inlaw's place and would feel like we were freezing at 68F with their oil heat.

We've been there too. leave the 75 degree house to visit a friend's family and sit there freezing in their 68 degree furnaced house. The opposite is true as well. I put a dinner in their belly, set them in a nice cozy recliner, lower lights, 75 degree stove room with radiant stove heating their raised feet, adult beverage, and low conversation will put the best of them to sleep. Even their kids are better behaved when mellowed by the unseasonal heat.

Highbeam said:
Tfin said:

We've been there too. leave the 75 degree house to visit a friend's family and sit there freezing in their 68 degree furnaced house. The opposite is true as well. I put a dinner in their belly, set them in a nice cozy recliner, lower lights, 75 degree stove room with radiant stove heating their raised feet, adult beverage, and low conversation will put the best of them to sleep. Even their kids are better behaved when mellowed by the unseasonal heat.

LOL! You're absolutely right!

congrats on you new woodstove. I was in your situiation two years ago. This will be my third year in the house. first year, no woodstove, shelled out alot of $$ on oil and never felt warm. Past two winters, not much oil $$ out and have been real toasty with the stove. love it.!

Status
Not open for further replies.