I got my regency installed, 2 questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_b

Dec 19, 2012
Installed a regency insert by my self, wasnt TOO bad. I did a test fire and everything seemed great. Now heres my 2 questions. My stainless liner is connected good the only thing is the pipe is not perfectly straight and about half way up the chimney it touches a part of the clay liner, is this a problem? Second I did not get the right chimney cap. For right now i just put the old chimney cap back on so no rain or critters can get in, is it ok to burn with it like this? Thanks for any input.

Not an expert but the liner touching the clay shouldn't be a problem. Did you seal the around the top before you put the cap on? I didn't use the cap my insert came with either since their are two flues.

I believe clay is rated to 1000 for short bursts. You are supposed to have an airspace so I doubt this meets code.

Depends on the liner. And if the original clay tiles are in good solid condition. You'll be fine.

When I recently installed my SS flex liner in my clay tile chimney flue the liner was touching the sides of the flue tiles in a number of places due to the liner being flexible. To correct this I made up my connection inside my fireplace using my T-connector, which I then fastened to my stove. This anchored the bottom of the flex liner. Back up on the roof, after putting on my top plate and sliding my rain cap connector collar over the flexliner I pulled the slack out of the liner. I put enough tension on the SS liner to straighten it out so that it no longer touched the clay tile liner any longer. I then tightened the connector screw locking the flex liner in place. This also pulled the top plate down tight to the top of my clay liner. Before positioning the top plate I applied a liberal bead of silicone caulk on the top edge of the clay liner. The tension from the flex liner pulled the top plate down tight and gave an excellent seal. I also shoved some insulation down the clay flue around the flex liner for about four feet before this assembly to help limit the creosote build up on the section of liner that was inside the part of the chimney that was exposed to the outside. The rest of my massive brick chimney (8'x4') runs up the center of my house. The main reason I did not want the flex liner touching my clay flue tile liner is because it would create a cold spot on the flex liner creating a spot for creosote to condense onto.

clay liner is fine, i tried straightening the flex liner as much as possible but still wasnt as straight as id like. ill just keep an eye on it for a while..

I made my own top plate and used my old clay tile chimney cover. It's OK to do so according to my stove dealer and I think it looks better.

Did you put some roxul on top maybe 3-4 feet down? I didn't on mine and I noticed when I brush my liner that's where all my creosote is, I think I'm going to take my top plate off and redo it see how much of a difference it makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.