I have no idea which heat source is right for my situation..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you paying for the installation of the boiler and plumbing?

Reactions: tlhfirelion
Are you paying for the installation of the boiler and plumbing?

I'm not planning to install a boiler. I'm all electric so no gas and I don't even know if oil is used around here cept for a few hipsters hair gel.

Both work. An infrared heater is a bit more like a wood stove in that you may feel the heat several feet away depending on the design. They tend to be more expensive with no added value other than the cabinet. Eden Pure is probably the worst example. Many of these units have fans which assist them convectively. Listen if possible before purchasing to avoid a noisy unit The oil filled radiator is a bit safer and has the timer option, but is convective (without a fan) in design. They are about half the price (or less) than the fancy infrared heaters and simpler, meaning less to go wrong. Whichever you choose, don't buy into the energy saving claims. Electric heaters are all 100% efficient and draw the same amount of power per given wattage rating, so pay closer attention to reliability. Avoid 12 hr timers, get one with a 24 hr timer if you want to have the office preheated.

Maybe infrared would be a decent option then. They're not outrageously priced on Amazon at 100-150. If they last a good long while. Good idea on the 24 hour timer, thanks!

Both work. An infrared heater is a bit more like a wood stove in that you may feel the heat several feet away depending on the design. They tend to be more expensive with no added value other than the cabinet. Eden Pure is probably the worst example. Many of these units have fans which assist them convectively. Listen if possible before purchasing to avoid a noisy unit The oil filled radiator is a bit safer and has the timer option, but is convective (without a fan) in design. They are about half the price (or less) than the fancy infrared heaters and simpler, meaning less to go wrong. Whichever you choose, don't buy into the energy saving claims. Electric heaters are all 100% efficient and draw the same amount of power per given wattage rating, so pay closer attention to reliability. Avoid 12 hr timers, get one with a 24 hr timer if you want to have the office preheated.

Maybe infrared would be a decent option then. They're not outrageously priced on Amazon at 100-150. If they last a good long while. Good idea on the 24 hour timer, thanks!
Hydronic heat in basement? Either floor or walls....

Status
Not open for further replies.