I just cleaned my liner, and the burns are so much better even though I only got less then a gallon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollect

Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
Garrett County, Md
I have been burning for just one year and the Jotul 550 wasn't drawing very well. OK last year my wood wasn't really dry, so I resplit it and let is cure in the house for two weeks. I got good fires and no smoke out of the chimney. Fast forward to last week, every time I opened to refuel the house filled with smoke. Yesterdat I went ot my great stove dealer and was outfitted with flexible rods and a poly something brush. I cleaned the liner and only got 3/4 of a gallon of crystalline junk out. Looked like klinker. I resealed all the joints let it cure for an hour and fired it up real slowly. No smoke and a really nice fire. So what did I do that caused the major difference, cleaning, resealing removing the internals. It works but I really am at a loss what I did that made that much of a difference. Yes I an a bit of an over analyzer, the kind that wears A BELT AND SUSPENDERS TYPE.

Mine 6" S.S. liner does the same thing. I also find it strange. When I start to get puff back I picture a really dirty liner. But when I clean it I get less than a gallon of the dry black Klinker looking stuff. It is a whole new stove after I brush it.

Cap was partially plugged?

pen

I've never gotten more than a cup of what looks like fine ground coffee so I haven't noticed any difference but I have to wonder if maybe the cap was getting plugged and cleaning the cap was what really made the difference. My cap doesn't have a screen.

If not the cap then I'd have to guess that the creosote was all concentrated at the top and constricted the flue diameter.

Usually its a dirty cap screen that's the problem.

jtp10181 said:
Usually its a dirty cap screen that's the problem.

Yep. Just cleaned a few days ago. The flue wasn't bad, but the cap was pretty gunked up. Must've been the shoulder burnin'. That was about 2 months into the season. I'll do it again, any time the fire starts getting a little lazy, even though I burn hot at least one/day.

Status
Not open for further replies.