I just pulled the trigger on a new Hampton HI300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

High_Iron

Hearth Supporter
Dec 30, 2007
Long Island
Yep, after much debate I finally decided on the HI300. I have been lurking here for quite some time filling my head with info. Every time I thought we had our mind made up, another insert entered the equation.

The install is scheduled for 2 weeks from Saturday.

Anyone want to share some HI300 stories? :)

Good work, we have one as well, and have been burining for a few weeks and loving it. Check out my threads and read up alot BEFORE the installation, as well as all the other info on here. Good luck and ask lots of questions!

welcome LI'er !

hope you got some wood, things are getting sparce out there.

you will love your new addiction..... keep lurking, start asking, there is a lot to absorb.

I'm 2 weeks in. Do you have high ceilings? I'm not getting much heat. 24 x 26 room 16' ceilings 2 ceiling fans, 30' to the chimney top, ripping thru wood. I get about a 3 hr burn time. Waiting for Rep to call me, I may have too much draft.

Ask a lot of questions. Tell them you room size, and ceilings. I expected this to blow me out of the room, and I'm still running the oil.

genstuff said:
I'm 2 weeks in. Do you have high ceilings? I'm not getting much heat. 24 x 26 room 16' ceilings 2 ceiling fans, 30' to the chimney top, ripping thru wood. I get about a 3 hr burn time. Waiting for Rep to call me, I may have too much draft.

Ask a lot of questions. Tell them you room size, and ceilings. I expected this to blow me out of the room, and I'm still running the oil.

It seems we both have the same dilemma. I bought the Regency I3100 and was told by the dealer it would heat my house which is similar to yours. I have 21 foot ceilings at the peak as I live in a log home. I get a bit better burn time as I can get about 4-5 hours with the air almost closed. I also called Regency and talked to a tech and he had me send an email telling my problem and he would forward it to the right people.

I also have to run my heat pump to keep the temps up above 63 and now I am looking into a indoor wood furnace to go into the basement. I hate giving my money to utility companies. I just hope to live long enough to recoup some of it.

Shipper

genstuff said:

How much wood do you think you've burned in two weeks? 24/7?

genstuff said:

Do you have a blockoff plate in yours? Is it insulated with K-wool above the plate? Some people seem to ignore this an let
all there heat go up the outside of there liner and into there masonry. (A BIG HEAT SINK) Thats an awsome insert that people use up here.
All heat there homes no-prob even in our extreme climate. All have insulated block off plates or had it done due to the same
issues you speak of. I think shipper50 has also ignored this. I think as the info from his other posts. Not tryin to cause any thing.
:) Congrats hi_iron

Shipper50 said:
genstuff said:

It seems we both have the same dilemma. I bought the Regency I3100 and was told by the dealer it would heat my house which is similar to yours. I have 21 foot ceilings at the peak as I live in a log home. I get a bit better burn time as I can get about 4-5 hours with the air almost closed. I also called Regency and talked to a tech and he had me send an email telling my problem and he would forward it to the right people.

I also have to run my heat pump to keep the temps up above 63 and now I am looking into a indoor wood furnace to go into the basement. I hate giving my money to utility companies. I just hope to live long enough to recoup some of it.

Shipper

1 would try the block off plate before you spend anymore money

Here is my last reply to the block off plate not in my insert. I had my buddy drive 50 miles to my house and we pulled the surround off the fireplace to try and put in a block off plate. He-we found the installers had put in insulation in the hole where the damper was. My fireplace has a plate that goes all the way across it and its part of the firebox of the old heatilator. The only place that was not closed off was a very small area where the liner went up the chimney.

We both felt the block off plate would not give me much more and packed the area with insulation. The insert is under sized for my house and the dealer should have told me that from the start instead of taking my money.

Shipper

I can't figure out why so many dealers are shortcutting putting in the block off plate. It doesn't cost that much and it makes a world of difference: insulation is not a hard block off - perhaps both would be a good idea.

But, there is no magic bullet for undersizing: at least non other than replacement. And, that just stinks when a dealer doesn't take all into consideration and then won't participate in the solution.

As for the original poster, High-Iron, don't let them talk you out of a block off.

ON my intall, I would ask for a block off at both top and bottom, creating lots of dead space inbetween.

Probably a stupid question here but are you guys using the blower? Is the heat coming out of the blower extremely hot? I'm really looking at the Hampton and have an easier space to heat (only 9' ceilings). Even though your rooms are big and ceilings high I would think that this insert should do the trick.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to reply to people, But here are the anwsers:
Brooktrout - 1 solid large wheel barrow every 2 days. 3 or 4 logs for the over night, then 1 to 2 logs every 3 hours or so to keep the coal bed up while home on the weekend. On a work day, 3 or 4 before I head off to work, then 1 or 2 every couple hours till bed. If wake during the night 4-5am ish, I throw on some more.

North of 60 - Great tip. I do have a block-off plate, it was $39, but it is not insulated, just 2 pieces of tin. Are these insulated ones something you buy, (where) or make up with some insulation(how). It good to hear you are loving this unit the far north, it gives me some hope.

Cocey2002 - With Blower, from what I read, you need it. There is not too much radiant heat. I run a DutchWest Stove in my basement, no blower, but the raidant heat is huge.

High_Iron - Don't be afraid, but Maybe you should print this full thread and talk to the dealer.

genstuff.

Wow, Lots of info here. :) I am learning alot!

I dont think my install price included a block off plate at the bottom. Certainly one at the top. I think I just get insulation behind the faceplate.

This being said, i think I might make my own block off plate with the instructions here--->www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate.

I can either ask the installer to put it in prior to installing the stove( And grease his palm of course;)), or put it in myself at a later date. I am pretty handy so it shouldn't pose a problem.

Thanks guys.

Sean

If you get a blockoff plate installed and sealed up good, there's no reason to put the insulation around the surround. I left mine off and the surround is not quite flush with my brick, which in theory lets out a little more of the radiant heat that's being produced by the stove.

Thanx. I will stop by the Stove Store and ask about a block off plate. They sub out the install, so I might be better off talking to the installer himself.

Shipper50 said:
Here is my last reply to the block off plate not in my insert. I had my buddy drive 50 miles to my house and we pulled the surround off the fireplace to try and put in a block off plate. He-we found the installers had put in insulation in the hole where the damper was. My fireplace has a plate that goes all the way across it and its part of the firebox of the old heatilator. The only place that was not closed off was a very small area where the liner went up the chimney.

We both felt the block off plate would not give me much more and packed the area with insulation. The insert is under sized for my house and the dealer should have told me that from the start instead of taking my money.

Shipper

i don't think he understood you when he sold you the stove ...maybe i am heating 2000+ with my summit it does the job until temps get around 15-0 degrees its just chilly and the lower the temp the more chiller.. but i you are talking about rooms that are a good 30+ plus away
i know i need insulation i thought mine was good called acouple people and both said 6-8 inches more..that will help alot
but this is my first year with this stove and i am still learningt it... as i recall we were telling you to turn.... pm me i don't want to hijack the threrad i will try to help

Status
Not open for further replies.