I love a great deal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I bought 4 boxes and they arrived yesterday.I bought them not so much for me but for my wife..lol Bless her heart she struggles to start a fire.These should last a very long time as I try to burn 24/7 but there are days I let the fire burn out as its just simply to warm.

I think the reason fire starters help so much is because they burn at a much higher temperature than typical kindling and they are "concentrated" so they focus that heat on a very small area. Even with fire starters it's important to stack the wood in a manner that works with the natural draft of the stove to encourage a strong draft through the stack of firewood (I call it the "turbo effect"). When I place the wood I use the wood to create a "chimney" within the firebox. For a east/west loading pattern a narrow, tall chimney in the center/back of the load the width of the firebox creates this "turbo effect" and can result in a vigorous blaze very quickly. I keep a supply of 1/2-3/4" maple branches to hold the load off the bottom of the stove. I also shovel the ashes to the left and right edges of the firebox to create an air tunnel in the center. The maple branches are placed in an open "V" with the opening at the door. This rams the air wash air into the center of the load and assists with the "turbo effect".

Every stove design is a little different and it's important to become familiar with your stove and how it drafts best. Giving your wife a straightforward list of 2-4 pointers could help her become a "minister of fire" in short order. Of course it might be more rewarding to keep her in the dark so she is constantly amazed with your fire starting magic!

Reactions: Tar12
I think the reason fire starters help so much is because they burn at a much higher temperature than typical kindling and they are "concentrated" so they focus that heat on a very small area. Even with fire starters it's important to stack the wood in a manner that works with the natural draft of the stove to encourage a strong draft through the stack of firewood (I call it the "turbo effect"). When I place the wood I use the wood to create a "chimney" within the firebox. For a east/west loading pattern a narrow, tall chimney in the center/back of the load the width of the firebox creates this "turbo effect" and can result in a vigorous blaze very quickly. I keep a supply of 1/2-3/4" maple branches to hold the load off the bottom of the stove. I also shovel the ashes to the left and right edges of the firebox to create an air tunnel in the center. The maple branches are placed in an open "V" with the opening at the door. This rams the air wash air into the center of the load and assists with the "turbo effect".

Every stove design is a little different and it's important to become familiar with your stove and how it drafts best. Giving your wife a straightforward list of 2-4 pointers could help her become a "minister of fire" in short order. Of course it might be more rewarding to keep her in the dark so she is constantly amazed with your fire starting magic!
She is in training! She needs to learn. Sometimes work really screws up my schedule and God forbid if something would happen to me. I want her to know how to run it. Now if I can get her to warm up to the idea of running one of those Stihls....:)

Last edited:
I got 2 boxes for my wife. They really work well I was very impressed. Thanks for the tip Woody.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I have been using these for years. I tried a few super cedars once and I found these Rutlands were way cheaper and better. I get them at my local Tractor Supply for like $10 for the same size box.

I bought four boxes of these.Got the first chance to ever use a fire starter tonight to start a fire. Very impressed with the ease of use! Easy peasy! I didn't have any dry small kindling and used some rather large pieces and they fired right off with no fuss! Thanks again for the heads up!

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I have been using these for years. I tried a few super cedars once and I found these Rutlands were way cheaper and better. I get them at my local Tractor Supply for like $10 for the same size box.

Yeah, just before Christmas I noticed Tractor Supply Online had them on sale for $8 and change so I bought 6 boxes to take advantage of free shipping. Now they're back up to $12.99 at TS online. Not long afterwards I saw the incredible $4.99 Home Depot sale and bought 10 boxes to take advantage of free shipping. Since I still had 4 boxes from another sale three years ago, and the 6 from TS, I now have 20 boxes. But at $5/box, I'll be giving some away to my wood-burning friends!

Glad to see so many forum members jumped on it. And if anyone sees any good deals like this in the future, be sure to post 'em!