I need a chimney brush...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
..for an 8" metal chimney. I know I should go poly....but what size? Some sites say to go with the same diameter as the chimney, others say to go larger (10" brush for an 8" chimney). Thoughts?

Just ran to VT and back...it's hot out!

Chimney is 8" in diameter and there's black stuff in there.

So what size brush do I need?

; )

If it has real stiff bristels stay with 8".

I've been using a 6" steel brush on my 6" rigid SS chimney. No ill effects from the steel, but I'm quite certain I'd never get anything larger than 6" back out. If you got lots of crud, and no flex, you might think about steel. If you have flex, they say poly.

It's a shorter straight chimney that I'll be cleaning from the bottom up. Looks like the 8" poly will be just what I need. However, that's really good to know about the metal. Maybe I'll grab one of those down the road; they're much easier to find locally than the poly brushes.

Sorry to jump in with a question, but can you use a round 6" to clean a square? What I mean is can I get the corners or not?
If no, I'm having a very hard time finding a square poly brush if someone can turn me onto it.
Chad

Should use a poly brush?? Really?? Some of us do no subscribe to that one.

You need an 8" brush to get it really clean. You could use a 6" in a pinch though and try your best.

I'm open to other opinions on metal brushes. I know a local place just over the boarder up in NH sells them.

I would not be at all afraid to use an 8" metal brush on a 8" rigid SS flue (the rigid is much thicker than the flex liners). It would take you about 1000+ years worth of brushing before you MIGHT begin to wear down that fairly thick SS. A metal brush will also do a better job cleaning up that tough creosote.

You don't want anything other than an 8" brush, 10" would be a major PITA!

chad3 said:
Sorry to jump in with a question, but can you use a round 6" to clean a square? What I mean is can I get the corners or not?
If no, I'm having a very hard time finding a square poly brush if someone can turn me onto it.
Chad

Check out hartshearth.com. I got my chimney cleaning gear from them a few years ago and am happy with the quality. Here is a link to a 6 in square, hope this works...

http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4444&idcategory=524

chad3 said:
Chad

You do need the square brush else you won't get the job done.

Skier76 said:
I'm open to other opinions on metal brushes. I know a local place just over the boarder up in NH sells them.

There are differences of opinion on poly vs. steel. When I put up a SS chimney I decided to ask the people (not the sales people) who installed chimneys. This guy has done it for 25 years or more if my memory is correct. He stated that you can indeed use a metal brush. However, in his time of installing chimneys, the only ones that have had to replace their SS chimneys are the ones who used the metal brushes. He therefore recommended a poly.

Whether he is right or wrong, I bought a poly. I figure if there is a chance some years down the road that the SS might go bad from using a steel brush I am not willing to take that chance....as long as a poly brush will do the job. After two years, I'm still waiting to see if the brush indeed does work as we have not cleaned the chimney yet. We can blame that on the extremely clean burning stove we installed at the same time as the chimney!

Use an 8" metal brush on an 8" metal flue. Gets it clean, never wears out.

Just ran to VT and back...it’s hot out!

Why didn't you drive? Very comfortable in my Envoy.

KC

iskiatomic said:
Just ran to VT and back...it’s hot out!

Why didn't you drive? Very comfortable in my Envoy.

KC

I was just joking. ; )

We take our 03 Grand Cherokee up there. It's comfy ride as well. My boss has an Envoy and I've ridden in that before. It's got a smoother ride than the Jeep.

I like my poly brush. It is as rigid as the steel brush and the bristles will never rust sitting out in the shed.

Skier76 said:
..for an 8" metal chimney. I know I should go poly....but what size? Some sites say to go with the same diameter as the chimney, others say to go larger (10" brush for an 8" chimney). Thoughts?

Poly vs. steel . . . one of the perpetual debates here at hearth.com. As for me I went with a poly brush and I've been very pleased with the results after one year of sweeping.

Size . . . go witht the same diameter brush as the chimney . . . some folks have done so and have had to even trim the brush a dite even then because the fit was too tight . . . going with a brush 2 inches too large would most likely be an exercise in futility as the brush would get jammed up.

Skier76 said:
It's a shorter straight chimney that I'll be cleaning from the bottom up. Looks like the 8" poly will be just what I need. However, that's really good to know about the metal. Maybe I'll grab one of those down the road; they're much easier to find locally than the poly brushes.

poly brushes arent hard to find. I think I got mine online at Ace Hardware.com It was like 8 bucks at the time and shipping is free to a local store. If you have a store near you, its the way to go!

I never even though of Ace. I'll have to remember that in the future.

I bought a poly brush but went back to my steel brush 'cause it was very hard to get up the chimney.
I guess I could have through trial and error trimmed each of the poly sticks, but that's too much like work.

*sigh* "The best laid plans...."

I ordered this on August 4th...no brushes or rods yet. I called the company today and they're still waiting for the brushes to come in. Of course, it's going to be nice n' cool later this week in VT; perfect for that last 400F break in fire. D'oh.

Skier76 said:
*sigh* "The best laid plans...."

I ordered this on August 4th...no brushes or rods yet. I called the company today and they're still waiting for the brushes to come in. Of course, it's going to be nice n' cool later this week in VT; perfect for that last 400F break in fire. D'oh.

Not that it helps, but I've always had good luck with Northline Express.com . . . I've had two or three orders. Prices seemed decent. Quality was good. Shipped fast.

They had a really good deal going(the place I ordered it from....must have been a good amount of demand. If push comes to shove, I can grab a brush from the hardware store and use a rod the previous owner left behind. But that will only get me up about halfway...if that, of the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.