I need help with my install... pics included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grunyon

Jan 25, 2013
Trying to install the Jotul f400. The house is a small cape cod on a slab. I got a high efficiency propane furnace to replace my antiquated oil burner in order to free up the chimney. I want to put the stove in the living room and pass the pipe into the utility room where the chimney is. I already pushed a 20' rigid chimney liner and it's installed I have sleepers on the floor with 3/4 plywood and I planned on putting down some cement board and slate tile to make a hearth pad.

The thimble I purchased has me confused. I told them I needed a thimble for 6" stove pipe. They sold me something that looks like it's made for 2x6 framing and the diameter of the opening is 8". Is this right? Isn't there supposed to be rock wool or something in there as well? Also when I called them they said I should be using double wall pipe inside and going through the wall. I was just planning on using some stove pipe.

Second, in this 700 square foot one bedroom house, I have no interest in putting the stove in the middle of the floor. I plan on caddy cornering the stove and the specs say that it can be 11" from the corners away from the wall with the additional heat shield so I ordered that. The stove came with a floor shield. Does this affect any clearances? It says that corners can be 8" with wall protection. Is this just sheet metal with 1" standoffs?

Thanks for any help.

Calling @bholler. This sounds like a dilemma. It seems that you have a class A pipe thimble. That is the only thing that can pass through the room wall. But... you have a conventional chimney liner down the chimney. This may not be solvable. You can't run hot liner or stove pipe in the closet. But maybe it can be insulation wrapped and you can use a different wall thimble like a Saf-T-Thimble or Insul Flue. Don't know for sure. It sounds hokey to me so I would consult a certified sweep to see of their is a solution or not.

I'm on the road now so hopefully others will jump in assist.

I think i need pics and a sketch of the layout to start to understand it really but as it is it sounds very questionable.

Ok, the pics really help. With the chimney right next to the wall it's not as bad as it first sounded. You have the wrong thimble. Get one like I mentioned earlier for close clearance of the 6" pipe.

Go to the articles section to read up on passing through a wall and on wallshields.

Status
Not open for further replies.