I need to be slapped..Update-

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Feel free. Have at it, I deserve it. The last thing I need is another saw, yet this afternoon I picked up a MS-180 C. Guy estimated 10 hrs. of run time, just limbing. (He's also got a 361 and a 441 he used for the bigger stuff.) Plus a couple of sorta dull chains. Fired on the second pull, with last seasons gas still in it.(I was there when he dug it out of the shed.) Now I'm trying to justify this to myself. And figure out if it can be modified (thinking MM for now) gave him $125. Sooo.... (I have to admit, I love the weight, or lack thereof)

I Love my 180. I don't usually cut very large tree but regardless of size I like to use the 180 immediately after felling to totally limb the tree and buck any wood under 8" before I pickup my 290 to finish the job.

To answer your question, yes the 180 can be modded, but you're going to have to carb mod it first. Muffler mod alone and it will most likely run too lean, they're already lean enough from the factory.

You want a Walbro WT215 carb. You'll have to pull the brass plug out of the impulse port that you need and plug the other one with epoxy etc. You will also have to tweak the throttle linkage a bit. But after that it's a straight swap.

Oh, if you don't switch the intellicarb cover off of your old carb and onto the WT215 then you will have to plug the intellicarb outlet in the airbox so you don't get particle infiltration into you intake.

Then you can muffler mod the 180 safely. However, I wouldn't go much beyond that. Brad Snelling on arboristsite heavily modified his 180. Then he found out that the connecting rods aren't all that strong. His rod ended up bent.

125.00 a good buy. You made yourself a little money thats the way you expalin this one.....Its like having 75.00 bucks in the bank!
No modds. unless your sure your going to keep it. I traded my 180 for a 511a and new cyclone wheel whole thing new would be around 600.00

No you dont. Nothing wrong with having an extra saw,especially for such a good price.You could always get your money back or make some extra later on if you decide to sell it.

My 180 c is a tough little saw. Think its an incredible saw for the price,,,new $199, used $125,,,,not a bad deal at all.

Well, thank you all. Sounds like I did OK on this one. I guess the real smackdown will come from the wife when she finds out I bought another one.

Beetle-Kill said:
Well, thank you all. Sounds like I did OK on this one. I guess the real smackdown will come from the wife when she finds out I bought another one.

Doesn't she need a new coat, or day at the spa or something??

I think she needs a MS-180C, she just doesn't know it yet. I'll surprise her when she gets back from Montana. I'm so thoughtful. ;-)

A guy can never have too many saws, just like women can never have too many shoes....... ;-)

Beetle-Kill said:
I think she needs a MS-180C, she just doesn't know it yet. I'll surprise her when she gets back from Montana. I'm so thoughtful. ;-)

That truly is the meaning of a Great Husband! Guess thats why I am not married...I would have her thinking 880 the way to go!

woodchip said:
A guy can never have too many saws, just like women can never have too many shoes....... ;-)

That's right.Next time she complains about how many saws you own tell her "You dont wear all 40 pair of shoes at the same time do you? You dont see me with a saw in each hand either!"

Not usually. ;-)

I bought a lightly used one fro $100 a couple years ago. I don't use it much, but it is a nice little saw. I could probably use it more than I do, but I am just used to grabbing the 029.

seems most people are reluctant to slap a friend in need...well not me sir! brace yourself.... <slap-aroo>. Carry on.

Beetle-Kill said:

+1 Tell here you picked up something for her while she was up here in Mt (or maybe you can pass it off as a "welcome home" gift for her), & then show her the 180! Now she can help you cut firewood! ;-)

I did buy a tractor on my wife's birthday last year.

Delta- thanks. That was a wuss-slap, but a slap nontheless. Points to you.
Flatbed, did she like her new tractor?

Beetle-Kill said:
Flatbed, did she like her new tractor?

She looked pretty happy. I just remembered that I bought my used MS180 on our anniversary!
DSC06114.jpg

Same here, if it makes firewood she all in....lol

Attachments

• learning to drive the tracker.jpg
    learning to drive the tracker.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 239
Flatbedford said:
I did buy a tractor on my wife's birthday last year.

That's a neat old Cub Cadet.I remember about 40yrs back Grandad had one very similar.He was an Allis-Chalmers man early on from what I heard,then later switched to Farmall/International Harvester.

Update- She likes it. And no grief about it at all. Even said to clean up the garage, to make room for 10 saws. wait, whut? "I know you, you'll have 10 saws before you know it." giggle, giggle-she said. She never fails to surprise me. I tried it out, cut up a bunch of Pine and Aspen, 8" rounds max. I was impressed, didn't bog down, and cut waaay better than expected for it's size. It's a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.