I&O 15ton Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TMonter said:
The Iron & Oak is far more robust than the Huskee and I'm betting it would split just as well.

How does it split better when it delivers less force? I'm curious.

lukem said:
Jutt77 said:
I'm thinking about getting one of these: http://www.ironandoak.com/itemdetai...tegory&categoryid=2&parentid=103&searchtext;=

Seems like a good splitter for a good price ($1000 budget), does anyone have any experience, feedback, regrets, etc. with one?

Thanks in advance,
J

If you're gonna spend a G, get the 22 ton Huskee. I wouldn't want to go less in tonnage.

To answer your question, I know nothing about the splitter in question.

I hear ya, I would probably go for the 22ton Huskee but I dont have a TSC in my state and shipping would run me another couple of hundred. We dont have a Northern Tools either so my $1000 splitter options are pretty limited. Unless you want to sell me yours for a 1000 shipped:)

Jutt77 said:
lukem said:
Jutt77 said:
I'm thinking about getting one of these: http://www.ironandoak.com/itemdetai...tegory&categoryid=2&parentid=103&searchtext;=

Seems like a good splitter for a good price ($1000 budget), does anyone have any experience, feedback, regrets, etc. with one?

Thanks in advance,
J

If you're gonna spend a G, get the 22 ton Huskee. I wouldn't want to go less in tonnage.

To answer your question, I know nothing about the splitter in question.

I hear ya, I would probably go for the 22ton Huskee but I dont have a TSC in my state and shipping would run me another couple of hundred. We dont have a Northern Tools either so my $1000 splitter options are pretty limited. Unless you want to sell me yours for a 1000 shipped:)
I thought there was a TSC type of chain store in Col. that handled that kind of items.

lukem said:
TMonter said:
The Iron & Oak is far more robust than the Huskee and I'm betting it would split just as well.

How does it split better when it delivers less force? I'm curious.

Unless I'm mistaken, you only need a splitter with enough power to split the wood you're trying to split. If you have large rounds of gnarly wood, you need a more powerful splitter. If you're splitting smaller rounds of straight-grained wood, a less powerful splitter will do. Granted, you'll probably have more rejects if you get a less powerful splitter, but this may not bother everyone, considering the cost tradeoff. I've seen it said more than once on this site that folks have a tendency to buy more splitter than they really need. In most cases, I'd say reliability should be the main selling point, not tonnage advertised.

Has there been any independent testing of the force delivered by any splitter? I am leery of marketing claims for any product. I could deliver 100 tons of force with a one gpm pump and a big cylinder. It would take forever to move an inch, but it would be 100 TONS.

If you're buying retail, I'd advise you to buy what you need. Unless you get a killer deal on a more powerful machine. I was focused on a Huskee 22, preferably a good used one. Then I found a new, never ever used Huskee 35 ton for $1000. That was a no brainer for me.

Kenster said:
If you're buying retail, I'd advise you to buy what you need. Unless you get a killer deal on a more powerful machine. I was focused on a Huskee 22, preferably a good used one. Then I found a new, never ever used Huskee 35 ton for $1000. That was a no brainer for me.

Yeah I'm hoping one of those deals comes my way soon.

JimboM said:
Has there been any independent testing of the force delivered by any splitter? I am leery of marketing claims for any product. I could deliver 100 tons of force with a one gpm pump and a big cylinder. It would take forever to move an inch, but it would be 100 TONS.

Technically there is little to no difference in the force provided when comparing splitters with the same size cylinders. How this force is applied to the wood is what determines splitting ability. The size and shape of the wedge determines how much force ( pounds per square inch ) is required to push the wood thru. Narrow wedges require less force but greater travel while wide wedges require greater force but will split wood with less travel.

I own an I&O splitter. Mine is the 34 ton model, good fit and finish. I have owned it for nearly 10 years, the only thing I did was replace the control valve and hoses, they were import and very low quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.