I pulled the trigger on a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maineah

Jun 22, 2008
Seal Harbor, Maine
Well, I just did it! I bought a new Continental, made by Napoleon, C 1400 PL. Same as the Napoleon 1400. After weeks of internal deliberation and advice from folks on this board, I opted for the the 1400 over the Napoleon 1100 or the Englander 13. I get a little bit bigger firebox, 2.2 cuft, than the 1.8 of the Englander 13 but not as big as the 3.5? of the Englander 30 which everyone on here said would drive me out of the house. The best part is I only paid $870 through Zoobler and their "make us an offer" option. the shipping is free and will be delivered to my house. I don't know who is more excited, me for getting a stove or my wife because as she puts it I can stop my obsessing.

Maineah said:
Well, I just did it! I bought a new Continental, made by Napoleon, C 1400 PL. Same as the Napoleon 1400. After weeks of internal deliberation and advice from folks on this board, I opted for the the 1400 over the Napoleon 1100 or the Englander 13. I get a little bit bigger firebox, 2.2 cuft, than the 1.8 of the Englander 13 but not as big as the 3.5? of the Englander 30 which everyone on here said would drive me out of the house. The best part is I only paid $870 through Zoobler and their "make us an offer" option. the shipping is free and will be delivered to my house. I don't know who is more excited, me for getting a stove or my wife because as she puts it I can stop my obsessing.

Now the endless obsession with amassing firewood begins. She ain't seen nothin yet!

Good Point. I already have about a cord and a half that I bought fro the girl who cuts my hair. She bought a pellet stove so had the wood to get rid of. It's been seasoning for about a year or so and is mostly oak, maple, ash and beech. I have another 2 cord coming from a dealer next week that is all hard wood and been seasoning since the late winter early spring. I paid $240 per cord. I also have a little under 1/2 cord of maple and birch that I cut around the house over the last couple of months.

I think my next obsession is the hearth pad and chimney.

Glad to hear it! The hearth pad should be the easiest, and the chimney install a little more difficult/time consuming, but all in all shouldn't be to bad (depending of course on your choice of setup).

It will all be worth it come Jan when its 5F outside and 78F inside and there's no horrid furnce noice to be heard.

Yeah I am very excited and nervous about cutting a hole in my roof. I am very stoked about not hearing to the furnace come on, especially my old forced hot air furnace. Always sounds like a jet engine.

Now going to start my search for a chimney. Thinking I will go with a Simpson Duravent it gets good review and seems to be a straight forward install.

It is nerve wracking to cut a hole in the roof. Just remember, measure twice, cut once.

Use a plumb bob on a string from a short screw on the underside of the roof to make sure the run is straight and aligned. Then drill a pilot hole, dead center to give you a point to measure from on the topside.

Thanks for that. I will obsess this whole process to death anyway. I'm still about 2 months out for install because I need to build a hearth which requires some demolition. Just herad for the stove company, it is being shipped to me tomorrow. Now have to figure a way to get it off the truck and into the basement for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.