I read something here about this, Inspectors do not have a clue..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimme971963

Nov 4, 2015
??
My ideal dream was to have a wood burning insert when I moved into this home. It was a fixer upper and have completed all the electrical, drywall etc and the demolition that comes with buying a home that needed updated etc etc.

My city requires an inspection including the fireplace. I read here awhile back in regards to having a piece of "sheet metal" covering the inner opening of the fireplace with an opening for the liner to vent up the chimney.

Pardon me but I do not exactly remember the correct terminology for it but I do remember reading the instructions to do so for the efficiency of the unit.

As it turned out, I already have this piece installed and felt very fortunate until...

When the first chimney company came I asked him about this and he told me it wasn't needed and should be removed. When I asked him about it further {because I had read about it on this site} he was very belligerent and took his estimate and walked out the door.

The second chimney co that came said they have never heard about this before but wasn't as belligerent about it.

So I need advice from the pros please. I have this piece of sheet metal that is sealed already installed with a 6" opening leading up into the chimney. Isn't this want I want to keep if I plan on a wood burning insert in the near future?

I would like to install a Vermont Monteplier soon. Any comments on that unit also?

I can provide pics if needed.

Thank you much!!

It sounds like there is a damper area block-off plate in place. If the chimney has no stainless liner this may be left over from a stubbed direct connect vent that only went up past the damper area. A good installer or sweep should recognize this right away.
How is the plate secured? I'm wondering if it is screws are holding it in place, if then it could be removed for cleaning the smoke shelf area and to facilitate a more easy working space. Then it would be reinstalled with a layer of kaowool or roxul stuffed on top.

This article will provide more info and it has good links to other installations:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

If they have a clue what they do for a living they would know what a block-off plate is. They may hate having to install them because they then have to quote a higher price for installations than their competition.

Or they are just totally clueless. You want the block-off plate and if they want to argue the point send them here.

It sounds like there is a damper area block-off plate in place. If the chimney has no stainless liner this may be left over from a stubbed direct connect vent that only went up past the damper area. A good installer or sweep should recognize this right away.
How is the plate secured? I'm wondering if it is screws are holding it in place, if then it could be removed for cleaning the se shelf area and to facilitate a more easy working space. Then it would be reinstalled with a layer of kaowool or roxul stuffed on top.

This article will provide more info and it has good links to other installations:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

There are screws holding it in place but it also appears to be sealed with silicone (which is white} along the edges. Because of that, I don't want to remove it unless necessary.

There isn't a liner and I wondered about the damper too. But as much as I know about chimneys, I would have to remove the plate to investigate the damper.

I bought the home from a woman whose husband passed away long ago. She then suffered from dementia but I'm certain that she didn't take care of such things, when I moved in there was an elbow laying in the fireplace that leads me to believe that they had an outside wood burning stove.

That is all I know.

Thank you

If they have a clue what they do for a living they would know what a block-off plate is. They may hate having to install them because they then have to quote a higher price for installations than their competition.

Or they are just totally clueless. You want the block-off plate and if they want to argue the point send them here.

Yes, it is a block off plate if that is the name. It is screwed in and sealed with silicone and ....thanks for clarifying that they do not know what it is for. There are only certain companies that the city allows to do inspections. Mind you, they have not called for the removal of this plate to pass but I do have two flues that need repair. But both of them had no advice to give on this plate except the one who walked out on me when questioned. I tried to tell him where I got the info but he was insulted and that is when he walked out. I didn't beg him to come back, trust me.

If you are installing the stove yourself, take out the block off plate, let them do their thing and then put it back when you install the stove. Sometimes just letting fools be fools is the easiest way in life.

There are screws holding it in place but it also appears to be sealed with silicone (which is white} along the edges. Because of that, I don't want to remove it unless necessary.

There isn't a liner and I wondered about the damper too. But as much as I know about chimneys, I would have to remove the plate to investigate the damper.

If this was a direct connect stub, there could be a lot of creosote piled up on the other side of the block-off plate and on the smokeshelf. You'll want that removed before installing a full stainless steel liner. The silicone seal is easy to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.