I saw my first purple traps in the Adk mountains saturday.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went back and looked up the EAB and you're right. I wonder what one I was thinking of... ALB maybe?

Matt

Yup, ALB is another story. They will infest many different hardwood species: all species of maple, elm, willow, birch, horsechestnut, London Planetree, poplar, ash, mimosa, mountain ash and Hackberry. They also have larger exit holes than EAB 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter. You may be able to see the frass of the larval feeding after emergence. They do feed on twigs and leaves and are known to be in Ontario, but I'm not sure how far north. It's another nasty foreign pest that we can hopefully eliminate before it gets more established.

I remember seeing this thread, but didn't really read it. I saw my first purple traps today on US2 driving across the UP. I also saw the first live ash trees I've seen in quite a while. In fact, I've got a half dozen on my campsite. Unfortunately, I think their days are numbered, as there is one that is in pretty bad shape. It's dead on top and you can see where they've been trimming the suckers off. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.