I think I butchered the tile install. Well... I had HELP butchering the install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edthedawg

Minister of Fire
Executive Summary: tile install in new bathroom may need some serious reworks.

Building a new bathroom in my 124 yr old Victorian. 60x60 Jacuzzi in the corner w/ an alcove return and shower in it. I'm doing all the design, electrical, framing, and tile work for this renovation, but vended out the plumbing (entire house replumbed as part of this effort) and sheetrock, because of the amount of work involved in getting the rock there, hanging it quickly, etc.

Sheetrock guy hung 1/2" greenboard and Durock, but appears to have used plain paper joint tape and drywall mud to joint it all. And ran the Durock right down tight onto the top of the tub face.

My architect friend says he should have used mesh tape, durabond to joint it, and left about a 1/4" gap from the top of the tub face, which I should have then packed w/ Phenoseal vinyl adhesive caulk. He's worried that the paper and mud products on the back, especially down at the tub/tile joint, will wind up exposed to even a pinhole leak, and will wick moisture up into the walls like crazy, inviting mold, rot, and tile failure.

And to compound issues, I spent all day yesterday cutting tile (new tile saw is suh-WEET!) and then installing the bottom course. I left it mostly tight down against the tub face. Tile is all 3/8"+ thickness terra cotta (bulletproof for sure). Bottom course of tile is all 12x12's, so my thinking is I could run a fat radius bead of Phenoseal along the vertical corners and the horizontal tub/tile joint, and pack the 12" vertical grout lines between the bottom tiles w/ phenoseal too (instead of grout). And so long as I get a Phenoseal and grout to match each other, it'll be waterproof and mostly undetectable.

Tile on the bare joint compound was a concern but feels like it's going to hold at least marginally well. The field is all on bare Durock, and that is definitely not going to have any bond issues. I'm using a premixed adhesive from Lowes that the (IMO) fairly knowledgeable sales guy recommended.

Other options include ripping out all the tile that sits on joint compound, sanding down that compound, dig out the tub/Durock horizontal joint to make a 1/4" gap (which will wind up ugly and I risk murdering the tub finish) replace the corner tape w/ mesh, and refinish all the joints and edges w/ Durabond. Then knock the scabbed-on mastic off the back of the cut tiles, and re-lay those tiles w/ new mastic over the Durabond.

Or rip out everything, and replace the Durock, which I REALLY don't wanna do.

ARRRRGH. I can see this consuming every waking moment for the next two weeks. Any thoughts from more experienced folks here??

Sounds like you might want to have a serious talk with the sheetrock guy about the quality of his work, and the payment for the value of same...

That said, it seems like you have a pretty advanced level problem, that I know I don't know how best to deal with. You might also want to ask about this over on the John Bridge - Tile Your World Forums as they do for tile what we do for wood burning...

Gooserider

my current bathtub was done in 1960 with regular sheetrock and paper tape.
Even the ceiling was tiled.
the sheetrock under the faucets at the tub is starting to crumble.

How long do plan on living ? (there)

Worst problem is the lack of a flexible joint at the tub.
If the tub install is solid and you have minimal heat/ humidity expansion/ shrinkage troubles then your worst nightmares may be just that.

It's not gonna mold and fail overnight.

Have you tested the bond (tried prying one off)on a bottom course of tile yet ?

I might be trying to remove that bottom course trying to save the wall work, just so typical new england humidity changes doesn't push those tiles off for you.

Thanks for the link and suggestions, Gooserider.

I will say this sheetrock guy did a spectacular job on everything else - I think the Durock was just a little outside his typical comfort zone. This was a fairly complex little bathroom, plus a full hallway outside the room, and blending in a new wall in the adjacent bedroom. All w/ a lot of box cutouts, 70+ nail plates to navigate, solar-tube skylights, etc. And he did it all in under 60 hours, from showing up w/ the boards to finished / paint-ready - so I'm not inclined to complain too much directly to him. His blend-ins to the existing plaster alone saved me days of work, and I hadn't expected him to do those...

billb3 - we plan on living here forever. and a day. :)

The tub flange is screwed securely all the way around. it is a fairly fixed position right now.

I am kinda leaning toward removing the bottom course so I can ensure a good gap all around, and avoid any expansion / movement pushing the tiles off. I have not yet tried pulling the bottom tiles off yet. I'm sure I could if I tried, esp since I just set the tiles in place after midnight last night. Unfortunately I'm at work now and won't be able to work on it again for a few days. A relative owes me one and is in there painting for me - I'm waiting for the "hey these tiles fell off in my hand!" phone call...

If the guy did a great job overall, I'd be sure to tell him that, but I would still at least let him know there is an issue in regards to the bathtub work - sounds like he might be the kind of guy that would be willing to help you do whatever it takes to make the job right 100%. If he is willing to do something about it, he probably has knowhow and practical experience to do a repair with minimal destruction to the existing work...

Gooserider

The JohnBridge guys are great - showing me the errors in my ways. I'm kinda coming to grips w/ a lot of rework. Oh well.

Here's a pic of things for those playing along here...

Attachments

• TUB01.JPG
    TUB01.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 371
Being an ex-tile setter and since I've had a few years in sales at Color Tile I'd just reccomend soaking all grout lines with liquid silicone.
Water will not wick up dura-rock, so your all good.Yes it is standard practice to leave a 1/4" gap above the tub but that's normall for regular rock.
Dura-rock will not soak up water.
Don't make a mountain from a mole hill here.
Get a sponge and a quart of silicone sealer....soak the grout lines which should be done any way...makes for easier cleaning of scum from grout.
Do this once a month or so and you'll be just fine.

The pic implies you're a bit further along than the bottom course.
I'd finish and take a bath.

In ten years there may be even better materials and methods. You're not gonna upgrade if the job you've done is still serving well, are ya ?

Status
Not open for further replies.