I Think I Had A Chimney Fire Tonight???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Brother. I am buying a brush and the rods and just run it once a month or so from the bottom up. appreciate it.

Just check that connector pipe more often. That is where your problem occured.

BrotherBart said:
Just check that connector pipe more often. That is where your problem occured.

You mean at the 90 degree on the inside of the house?

You said smoke came out of an elbow. If it did that fire was in the connector pipe, not backing up from the chimney. One thing to think about in the future is a thing that gets good reviews here called a "Sooteater". Flex rods, works like a weedeater using an electric drill. With the 30 you could just take the baffle boards out and run it up through the connector pipe inside the house. All of the crud would either get pushed into the tee and fall into the clean or fall back into the stove.

That would only clean the connector pipe. Still need to brush the straight up pipe outside or use the Sooteater on it too.

BrotherBart said:
You said smoke came out of an elbow. If it did that fire was in the connector pipe, not backing up from the chimney. One thing to think about in the future is a thing that gets good reviews here called a "Sooteater". Flex rods, works like a weedeater using an electric drill. With the 30 you could just take the baffle boards out and run it up through the connector pipe inside the house. All of the crud would either get pushed into the tee and fall into the clean or fall back into the stove.

That would only clean the connector pipe. Still need to brush the straight up pipe outside or use the Sooteater on it too.

Thats correct, smoke was coming out of the 90 degree elbow. Will definitely look into the Sooteater and pick one up. That lady that came to clean the chimney yesterday gave me a small container of Rutland Creosote Remover. Instructions say to use once per week or more often depending on how often i dump the ashes.

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=4

KatWill said:
firefighterjake said:
Random thoughts . . .

No need to fear burning wood . . . just respect the potential danger . . . and alter your actions to include more frequent inspections or cleanings if necessary.

Brining the firefighters a box of donuts or pizza or even a simple thank you note will win you some friends for life.

Hey Jake,

The crew that came out to the house is not "on duty" until friday. So when i went over yesterday the fireman that was there suggested I do that for them on friday if i wanted to. I still went ahead and bough him lunch. (he loves Chinese food). I will definitely be stopping in Friday with a token of affection. Not many people think of fireman until they need them.

HehHeh . . . you're a pretty smart guy . . . I can't tell you the number of times (well it's actually not all that much) when someone brings by cookies or a small token of thanks . . . and don't realize that the crew on duty is not the same crew that responded to their home . . . of course most firefighters are very happy to have free eats and typically don't tell the person that they were not the same crew. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.