I think it's ash. What say you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warno

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2015
illinois
I've been told it is ash it looks similar to ash around. What's in the truck?

20180114_111441.jpg

20180114_111447.jpg

20180114_111457.jpg

20180114_130449.jpg

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
X4. Nice score.

How long does ash take to season in direct sunlight all day and with all blowing winds hitting it?
45 minutes or so.

Can be ready in 6 months in windy/sunny area. Really needs 1 yr.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
This stuff along with a mountain of other ash is getting split and stacked before this spring and we have other wood to go before it anyway. It might roll into the winter after next.

How long does ash take to season in direct sunlight all day and with all blowing winds hitting it?

I cut a big dying Ash in March of last year, split it around Easter, stacked it out in direct sun in a windy location, and it was sub-15% on multiple fresh splits by mid-October.

Reactions: warno
more importantly, what happened to the hotwheels car? did you build a cool ramp for it?

Reactions: firefighterjake
Lol my 5 yr old son has it and it went to where ever the rest of them go.
if he's anything like my 5 year old, hes asking me to build a garage for it :)

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
You can tell Ash by that "pinhole" in the center on the flat cutside, take a look and you can see it clearly in the second picture.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
You can tell Ash by that "pinhole" in the center on the flat cutside, take a look and you can see it clearly in the second picture.
I like to call it a BB shot dead center. You're right it's in every ash cut

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I like to call it a BB shot dead center. You're right it's in every ash cut
That's right! I don't know of too many other trees that have it but last year or longer I cut some Hickory and believe it or not that piece had that pinhole too, I was surprised! But mostly just Ash in my experience other than that.....

Reactions: Paulywalnut
That's right! I don't know of too many other trees that have it but last year or longer I cut some Hickory and believe it or not that piece had that pinhole too, I was surprised! But mostly just Ash in my experience other than that.....
I too have seen a few different kinds with a pinhole in the middle, but ash almost everyone.