I thouight my Jotul F250 was woodburner only.?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Hearth Supporter
I thought my Jotul F250 was a woodburner only and not multi-fuel but it has a grate with an ash pan underneath although there is no riddler, if it is a woodburner only as I was led to belive, how can I build up a good layer of ash without it falling into the ash-pan?

Not familair with your stove, but I've never been a big fan of ash pans. They leak air, and chunks of coals and ash get caught in between and can be a real pita. If there is no way to shut the ash grate slots, you could always just let the ash pan fill up and use a shovel to scoop it out as needed. Does your stove manual have any diagrams or instructions for this?

This is a common design with Jotuls, Neil. Your stove is a wood stove, period. The firebox floor will fill up with ash. If you take your poker during a refill and stir it, the ash will drop into the ash pan and accumulate there. FWIW, I've found that Jotul's work a little better with an accumulation of ash below the firebed. It seems to keep the fire hotter.

BeGreen said:
This is a common design with Jotuls, Neil. Your stove is a wood stove, period. The firebox floor will fill up with ash. If you take your poker during a refill and stir it, the ash will drop into the ash pan and accumulate there. FWIW, I've found that Jotul's work a little better with an accumulation of ash below the firebed. It seems to keep the fire hotter.

Thanks for reply and I know I have a woodburner now, do not want to be burning coal because I have been lazy collecting my wood.

i think the ash pan is a nice deal.i do believe you can almost clean your stove and have the fire still going??? am i correct???

Sweet :) Thanks Neil.

Neil said:
johnnywarm said:

My stove is the picture in my avator, cannot understand why it is not on sale in the USA.

Its different ;-)

I thought it was an old radio, just kidding.

johnnywarm said:
Neil said:
johnnywarm said:

My stove is the picture in my avator, cannot understand why it is not on sale in the USA.

Its different ;-)

Wife wanted a Jotul F3 which is more traditional looking, but as it is to fill a tall alcove the shorter f3 would look lost with a tall stove pipe, this one fits the alcove nice.

it is interesting looking, you say thats a jotul? hows it work?

Neil said:
johnnywarm said:
Neil said:
johnnywarm said:

Its different ;-)

Wife wanted a Jotul F3 which is more traditional looking, but as it is to fill a tall alcove the shorter f3 would look lost with a tall stove pipe, this one fits the alcove nice.

If it was for sale in the US, I would have bought the model you bought Neil.

Hanko said:

The very latest wood burning stove, from Jotul’s award winning designers, the Jotul F250 stove combines trend setting features with the best combustion technology on offer, to create a truly outstanding stove. Tested to meet the highest standards, the Jotul F250 has been judged to be one of the most clean burning and environmentally friendly stoves on the market. The large curved panoramic door gives a stunning view of the flame picture. Operating range: 2.9 - 9 kW, with a nominal heat output of 6 kW’s.

man you should sell those things, that is a great presentation, How come those arent available in the good old USA.

In Europe, the shelf below the burn chamber is in fact for storing your days worth of wood. I don't think that will pass muster for UL certification here. Without being able to store wood there, it is not going to look quite right with that big empty space just sitting there...

Neil said:
Hanko said:
The very latest wood burning stove, from Jotul’s award winning designers, the Jotul F250 stove combines trend setting features with the best combustion technology on offer, to create a truly outstanding stove. Tested to meet the highest standards, the Jotul F250 has been judged to be one of the most clean burning and environmentally friendly stoves on the market. The large curved panoramic door gives a stunning view of the flame picture. Operating range: 2.9 - 9 kW, with a nominal heat output of 6 kW’s.

KeithO said:
In Europe, the shelf below the burn chamber is in fact for storing your days worth of wood. I don't think that will pass muster for UL certification here. Without being able to store wood there, it is not going to look quite right with that big empty space just sitting there...

Neil said:
Hanko said:

Yep, filled with wood it looks much better, why do the USA not take Jotuls word that the heat sheild and ashpan at bottom of stove make storing wood underneath not a problem.

Neil said:
KeithO said:

Neil said:
Hanko said:

Yep, filled with wood it looks much better, why do the USA not take Jotuls word that the heat sheild and ashpan at bottom of stove make storing wood underneath not a problem.

Sparks falling on the wood when the door is opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.