I was Waiting for This to Happen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Heat

Mod Emeritus
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
Last spring someone fixed up this little house on my regular bicycle route. It appeared to have been unoccupied for some time prior to the new residents spiffing things up. When I first noticed activity there I compulsively examined the chimneys and thought, "Jeeze, three really old looking chimneys. I hope they get an inspection if they plan on burning next winter."

I don't know why this house burned, but it looks to me like the worst of it is in the upstairs or attic, adjacent to two of the old chimneys.

(images 11 and 12)

http://picasaweb.google.com/moheatmail/MoPhotos

Having some nice weather here. Mid 60's today. I rode down to the flood mayhem and took some pictures. The Meramec River hit historic flood stage a couple days ago, but things have settled down for now. But we're expecting more rain in the next few days that might create an instant replay.

I only saw a couple houses that looked flooded, but lots of flood indications with mud on the road, a couple dead deer, burmed earth and sand bags on a few houses, the model railroad (one of those you ride in at the park) was moved to higher ground, and (what was rather irksome) my favorite port-o-potty had been moved. :gulp:

I added some pictures after the burned out house if you're interested. Nothing six-o-clock newsworthy, though. I think these folks just barely dodged a bullet.

The last picture there? That's a honey locust, meanest orneriest wood you'd never want to tangle with. It is good firewood though :snake:

Mo, I noticed you have a pic of an old lime kiln in your gallery.
Here's more.

Attachments

• I was Waiting for This to Happen
    Kilns%20in%20winter.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 533
    kiln.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 510
I wish those kiln pictures were a little bigger, but they're interesting none-the-less. I wonder how they fed those puppies? The one in my photo was built at the bottom of a hill so they could dump limestone in the top and shovel lime out (and stoke the fire) at the bottom.

I think there is a hole part way up the kiln to add the lime, and it was taken out the bottom.

Attachments

IMG_0048.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 504
Mo Heat said:
Last spring someone fixed up this little house on my regular bicycle route. It appeared to have been unoccupied for some time prior to the new residents spiffing things up. When I first noticed activity there I compulsively examined the chimneys and thought, "Jeeze, three really old looking chimneys. I hope they get an inspection if they plan on burning next winter."

I don't know why this house burned, but it looks to me like the worst of it is in the upstairs or attic, adjacent to two of the old chimneys.

(images 11 and 12)

My attention was on the huge Holz stack...wow!

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
My attention was on the huge Holz stack...wow!

WoodButcher

I burned about half of that holz this winter, so it's about half as tall now. The good news is that it's been standing for about a year with only one minor incident, and one minor repair.

Keeping a holz hausen upright can be tricky, but I feel like I can do it now without worrying about it falling over, but I've only built two. It seems like the key is starting with a level foundation and making sure all the perimeter pieces are tilted downward a bit, toward the middle. I love the holz. It's like yard art.

Before I build another on the fairly steep hillside that is my back yard, I'm going to put down some landscape stones (probably your basic home cheapo $1.59 variety) on the low side and back-fill with gravel. I'm hoping that will give me a level and dry foundation.

BTW: If you're bored, click on the "My Wood" link in my sig, then click the google video "Movie:" link in that post, to see me climb the Uber holz. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.