Ice on chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Was out cleaning the 2 ft of snow off my deck and noticed the chimney cap has some ice on it. The thing that alarmed me was that it looked dirty. Any thoughts?

Mine looked dirty also, very light brown almost beige, Icicles even had a light Biege color around the chimney cap....I think during the heavy snow some of the smoke during the burn cycle was captured by the collecting snow almost like a filter....as long as everything else is functioning normal I would not be concerned. Curious if anyone else is seeing this..

I had icicles on mine during the polar vortex, and it certainly wasn't from burning the fire too low.

Yep light brown icicles during cold snaps. Pretty normal here.

Reactions: tfdchief
yep my cap looks much dirtier this year with 3 ft of snow on the deck tonight. I can't say why, much colder. lets see what the cap looks like this year when I do the yearly cleaning in the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.