ID this one please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
One day my wife came in from getting the mail and asked me what that little tree was that is growing near the mailbox. I don't know. I've never seen this one before or if I have I did not pay any attention to it.

Whatisit-1.jpg

Whatisit-2.jpg

EDIT: In that second picture, look in the upper right corner and you can see part of that wood pile from this past winter's cutting.

hickory,my frist thought was tulip

But we don't have tulip poplar here!

Backwoods Savage said:
But we don't have tulip poplar here!
no tulips in mi.? its hickory

I think I'll tie it back so it doesn't grow out towards the road any further and let it grow. We'll see what it turns out to be. I guess I wouldn't mind if it does turn out to be a tulip poplar.

Just an update: I saw tulip poplar when we were out east and the leaves on those are very different. The leaves on this thing look more like a pignut hickory but I don't recall any flower like that on any hickory. I'll keep searching.

I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't Hickory. The flower doesn't seem to fit and the leaves look a little narrow.

I saw a young shagbark hickory today and your picture looks similar to that. So my vote is a species of hickory

I can tell you I'm not sure what the hell it is, we have a few shagbarks in the southern part of the state and I have never seen a flower like that and the only tulip poplar I have ever seen is in someones yard but I got up and close with it as I climbed to 60' in the canopy. I do know most tree species do not flower until they are well over 20 years of age (most I say) and the picture you have is of a small diameter stem (sapling) in flower? Now either it is a root sucker of a nearby species which could flower at such a young stage or is it a shrub species that has flowered and produces a berry,droop or nut. I guess you will have to wait watch and see. I bet your local extension or county/state forester could help you out if you have one.

I can tell you for certain that it is not a tulip poplar just by looking at the leaves. The leaves do look like hickory but I've never seen that flower on hickory or anything else around here.

Here is a picture of the leaves. They are all in a pattern of 5.

Unknown.gif

Okay, we have a winner here. I found out this is a pignut hickory. I've not known any of those trees to grow anywhere near us before. This one is by the road so maybe someone threw out a nut! lol

Good idea to tye it back and help it a little. We don't plant trees for ourselfs.....we plant them for our Grandchildren....
Mike

I went out and took a close look at a Shagbark, and noticed these reddish flowers. Not nearly as bright red as the flower on your post, but I can see now that it is indeed a Hickory. Thanks for the education.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 278
Yes, now that we know for sure what it is we can train it a bit and keep it around.

CTburns, it was me that received the education! I just passed it on to all. Nope, you are never too old to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.